Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Baked Apple

Here's a quick way to treat yourself when you wake up on a cold, dark March morning hoping for it to feel like May, but in fact it feels like January. 

First: make coffee.  Second: drink coffee. 

Third: make this...



It's a hollowed out baked apple with oatmeal inside.  Oh yes!  This will make things all better! Trust me.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Wash and core a nice, big apple.  (Any kind will do.  I used a Granny Smith because that's what I had in the house at the time, but I've also used Cortland and Empires).  When coring the apple be careful not to break through the bottom.  Do a wide core so there is lots of room for the filling.

Mix together the following:

1 tbsp oats
1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tbsp chopped walnuts (opt.)
2 tsp soft butter
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Fill the apple with the mixture and place in a shallow baking dish.  Pour 1 tbsp of apple juice around the apple and bake for 30 minutes, until tender.  Serve warm - right out of the oven is best.





If no one is home,  a scoop of vanilla doesn't hurt the situation.  No indeed....




This recipe is from Susan Branch's Heart of the Home and is one of my favorite comforts.  It will make the most darkest day, warm and fuzzy ~ xo



Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. It looks good, but I guess it tastes even better!
    My mum used to cut her apples in half, dredge with lots of sugar, then add some white wine, and then... straight in the oven to caramelize!

    I love the idea of filling apples with oatmeal! GOOD!

    CIAO!

    ANNA

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic. I really like baked apple, but I've never tried it with oatmeal. Yum!

    ReplyDelete