Monday, May 6, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


It's a beautiful sunny morning here so I decided to take my breakfast outside! There is still a bit of chill in the air, but as long as I have my cozy cardigan on, I'm loving the fresh air! Pretty soon I'll be able to do this all time, but we are not quite there yet.  patience is a virtue...

This past weekend I made these banana chocolate chip muffins.  Another awesome recipe from the Meal Makeover Moms.  Have you checked out their website yet? It's so good!  These muffins have everything that you love in them and taste just like chocolate chip banana bread.  The secret ingredient is flax seed (or you could use wheat germ).  It is completely tasteless, but the health benefits will blow your mind.  We've been gobbling these up like crazy.  Even my 5 year old likes them.  I don't dare tell him they are healthy, because then that would be the end of the that!  I just load them with dark chocolate chips and he's happy as can be!




recipe from MealMakeoverMoms.com

1 cup flour
1/2 whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ or ground flax seed (I used flax seed)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup low fat milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly coat a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside. 

Whisk together the flours, flax seed, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.

Combine the bananas, eggs, sugar, oil, milk, and vanilla in a medium bowl and stir until well blended.  Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened.  Stir in the chocolate chips. 

Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.  Bake about 20 minutes, or until the muffins are light golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. 


 

Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove them to a wire rack and cool an additional 5 minutes before serving. (**to make 24 mini muffins, bake about 14 minutes**)
 
 
 

I have pulled pork bubbling away in the crock pot and I'm off do do errands before I pick my little one up at school. I hope the sun is shining on you today and you find a little bit of quiet on a busy Monday ~

Have a great day! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment