Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Orange Marmalade Cake ♥ (Susan Branch Recipe : )

Hello Friends! 

I hope you are doing well.  It's hard to believe that we are in the second half of September already.  For me it's been a total blur.  With my mother sick and us going back and forth to the hospital and now the rehab, I've totally lost track of time.  Thankfully I had decorated for Fall early because here were are.  See, I knew my anxiousness would come in handy.  

Speaking of my mom, she's doing better every day.  It's a lot of work but she'll get there. She's showing a lot of progress building up her strength, and I know that's because of her will to come home.  I just got back from visiting her.  I brought her a piece of cake and a hot chocolate.  Something, anything, other than rehab food is a treat, and homemade is even better.  I brought her one of her mugs from home to drink the cocoa in and she loved it.  

Hang in there mom, you're doing great!  





Around the house we are trying to keep as much normalcy as possible.  We are trying to eat well and get enough sleep so WE don't get sick.  Tis the season, you know! I light my candles everyday and keep the house as cozy as possible.  This week we've been watching all the Muppet Movies.  Most of them are on Disney Plus and the ones that aren't I checked out from the library.  They are so cute and funny, with a lot more adult humor than I remember.  

It's the pick me up we all need right now : ) 


 



It's still warm here but I'm finally starting the feel the shift.  It's getting darker earlier now and it's chilly in the mornings when I drive John to school.  I love that first inhale of fresh air early in the morning.  I'm not seeing much color on the trees yet like some of my Instagram friends are, but I know it's coming.  I'll be patient : ) 



 
I like to wear an old black cardigan sweater over my pj's when I come out in the kitchen to get coffee.  Lately I've been waking up at 5:30.  Rob is just leaving for work then.  We spend a few minutes together and then I sit and drink my coffee for a bit before John gets up for school.  It's dark and quiet and quite lovely in my opinion.   I do love to sleep but getting up early has it's advantages.  Don't tell anyone, but I'm starting to like it.  Have I become a morning person??  Possibly. 




Speaking of the cake I brought my mom, I want to share the recipe with you.  It's from Susan Branch's Website and it's wonderful!  In fact all her recipes are wonderful, but this one....chef's kiss to the air! 

Orange Marmalade Cake! 




Whenever I make a Susan Branch recipe I picture her in her adorable Martha's Vineyard kitchen.  She has the stove of my dreams and the cutest curtains on her windows.  She's baking, listening to Frank Sinatra, a kitty at her ankles, and all is right with the world. 

At least in that moment 

 


I don't think I've ever made a recipe with marmalade before.  I had to buy some special just for this recipe.  It reminded me of Paddington Bear! 




The batter was gorgeous with little flecks of orange and lime zest.  




While it baked I made the glaze.  

More marmalade (ala Paddington!) confectionary sugar, and butter!  So good! 




Drizzled over the top.  Yes please! 




What a lovely cake to have with coffee, tea, or in my mom's case HOT CHOCOLATE.  We are fans over here.  I bet you would be too! 


It's very easy to make. Like I said, the only thing special I had to get was the marmalade.  Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try: 




For the cake: 
1 1/2 sticks of butter
3/4 cup sugar
zest of a lime
zest of an orange
3 eggs
1/3 cup marmalade
2 tbls freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Cream the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until fluffy.  Beat in the eggs.  Stir in marmalade, juice, and zest.  
In a separate bowl combine dry ingredients. Fold into wet until just combined.
Put in greased loaf pan and bake 50 minutes or until knife comes out clean.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn on to rack.  

For the glaze: 
In a small saucepan mix 1/3 cup marmalade, 1 tbls butter, and 1/4 cup confectionary sugar.  Stir until smooth.  Drizzle on to cake letting it drip over the sides. 

Cool completely before serving. 



Make one for yourself and one for a friend. It's a very cheery cake and I think a perfect gift. Susan Branch just gets me.  I say it every time.  She's the best.  

Thank you for stopping by today friends, and thank you for your continued prayers and well wishes for my mom.  They are working 

Have a great day!  Next week is officially autumn and I cannot wait. 

Byeeee! xoxox

4 comments:

  1. Danielle, I didn’t know your mother was having these health issues! Definitely adding my prayers for her recovery! I have never made a Susan Branch recipe that wasn’t absolutely delicious, and this cake sounds scrumptious! Sending you special thoughts and hugs as you navigate the demands on your time these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers for your Mom's continued strength and better health (and great health for you all!) That cake looks scrumptious and I've already copied the recipe. Many thanks to you and Susan. Lol Blessings on this continued lovely and cozy Fall season my Friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your mother gets better soon! God bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My oh my...that cakes look delicious!! Thanks for sharing. I hope that your mom is making real progress at the rehab place...and will be able to come home soon! Ah, and I wear a black cardigan every morning over my jammies. I think it is much cozier than a robe:)

    ReplyDelete