Monday, July 8, 2024

July blues and a big birthday coming up ♥

Hello Friends! Happy Monday! 

I hope you all had a nice 4th of July and weekend! It was very quiet around here.  I opted to stay home and cool on Thursday and it was pretty much the same for the weekend.  I did a little more cleaning and organizing of my mother's things on Sunday.  I decided to start in the basement and work my way up.  This was a good decision because our basement is very cool and it's HOT as blazes here right now. I'm talking 90's and humid. Ugh.  Anyway, it turns out that going through my mother's things is much harder than I thought and so I can only handle a little bit at a time.  My mom was a lifelong packrat and has so much STUFF I can't even begin to explain it.  Everything near and dear to her heart which makes it all the more difficult.  So...I'll do it in small doses.  There really isn't any rush per say, its just one of those things that should be done, you know?  At one point I started to feel very overwhelmed and had to just stop. I made myself an ice cream sundae and took it into my room and watched a Hallmark movie in bed.  That's how I destress : )



 

This morning (and you know how much I hate Mondays!) I wanted to start my week on a good foot so I took the clippers and went over to our hydrangea bush and clipped some blooms for my living room.  I meant to do it over the weekend but never got a chance. 

As you can see, apparently hydrangeas thrive in heat and humidity.  

We don't have that in common.  I am slowly melting : )



Bringing pretty flowers in the house made me feel happy and I really needed that pick-me-up today. 

Isn't it amazing how flowers can do that 





I like to do one big vase and then a few small ones scattered around.  

Blue is my favorite color and now I have blues in every corner of my very small cozy living room. 



 

In other news...

I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks.  It's a big one.  I can't even believe it.  I'll tell you but don't tell anyone.  I'm turning fif...fif..FIFTY.  There I said it.  I've been thinking a lot about that recently and what it really means to me.  I guess it's not so much the number (even though it's a pretty big one) it's more of the passing of time aspect of it.  I spend so much time watching John growing up I forgot about my own age! I was 17 when I graduated high school and Rob is 2 years older than me.  I'm the youngest sibling in my family and the youngest cousin (out of 24 cousins) and I've usually been the youngest in all my friend groups.  Me turning that number seems crazy. But it's happening!!  I don't know what I'll be doing for my birthday yet.  I just hope there is a lobster dinner and cake involved.  For now I'll enjoy the last precious few weeks in my 40's. And believe me, I know there are a lot of great things that go along with being Fifty.  I'll talk more about that next time.  

I have lots of thoughts on the subject 

Right now I must get back to work.  I hope you are having a nice Monday and your July is off to a sunny start. If it's hot where you are, stay cool! And if it isn't...I'm very jealous! I will be falling asleep tonight to the sweet sounds of my air conditioner 

Love you! Byeeee! xo 

5 comments:

  1. Your hydrangeas are such a beautiful color of blue! They are probably my favorite flower. I'm also turning 50 next month. Yikes! Haha! Sometimes I wonder how it all happened. I think you're doing the best thing by being gentle with yourself as you go through your mother's things. I know that can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danielle :) I'm sorry you have to do the hard job of going through your mom's belongings. It takes time and thankfully, there's no deadline. I destress with ice cream too :) I will be turning 59 in October. I don't think 50 bothered me, but 60 might! I hope you have a good week and cooler temps. We just had a small hurricane and it actually brought our temps down a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart got a squeeze thinking about you going through those treasures and memories and needing to do the work while you're still grieving. Not easy. But you de-stress in brilliant ways in my book! Lol And 50 is only the beginning of such a beautiful new chapter of life. Trust this from a wise old almost 53 year old. Lol I joke, but truly these past couple years have been some of the best of my life. Never know what lovely curveballs life may throw sometimes too...no matter the age. It is, as they say, just a number. 😉 Peace and love to you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right - you have to do it in small doses. My brother and I went through my mom's jewelry today and that's it. There's no rush, so we will take our time. I can only handle so much at one time as it can be very overwhelming. I ate a bowl of hot fudge by the spoonful when I came back home. It's a lot. And I currently have a Hallmark movie playing in the background. Thank goodness for chocolate and rom coms! Your hydrangeas are gorgeous by the way. We are also meting here in NC where I live. Ninety-five degrees and humid every day. I'm excited for you and your upcoming birthday! I'll turn 50 next year, so I'm right behind you.I hope you do something really fun and celebrate to the fullest! Try to stay cool and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello precious friend. I'm so sorry you are having to suffer while going through your Mom's things. I empathize so much for you. I know this isn't much help, but I don't have a Mother. She opted out of my life. =( So you are a blessed woman to have your Mama. I know you know that.
    Your hydrangea is GORGEOUS! I have fake blue ones all over my home as well.
    I hope you are doing ok, surviving the summer. You know here in Texas we are already triple digits. I can't even swim when it is this hot. Ill talk to you soon friend.

    ReplyDelete