Monday, August 27, 2012

Celebrating the Last Days of Summer

It's hard to believe that we are once again about to turn the page of the calender and enter a new season.  I know many of you are not ready for this, but since Fall is my FAVORITE time of year I am so ready! The temperatures are still high, it's hot and sunny, but strangely enough I can feel the change.  The early mornings are cool and the evenings have that little "something" in the air that tell me things are changing. 




This past week I've been school shopping, filling my little one's backpack with pencils, glue sticks, and crayons.  Exactly what he needs to start kindergarten next week.  Five days a week, I still can't believe it! 

My inbox is full of apple recipes and all the Fall fashion catalogues are cover to cover with wools, tweeds, and plaids.  Reminds me that I need a new coat this year. Oh yes, I am ready.  I even saw Halloween candy at the market yesterday.  Ok, that may be pushing it a bit.  Nonetheless, when that calendar says September, I'm in full Fall mode. 




We had a lovely summer and I'm sad to see it go.  There were beach days, picnics, and a fun filled trip to an amusement park with great friends!  We had two very special family celebrations, including a birthday party last week for my special boy who turned 5!  It was amazing!  We are so blessed to have family and friends who care about us so much. That night reflecting on the party and looking at the videos my eyes teared up.  I was so happy that he had such a fun day.  (The bouncy house helped! )




Life is hard, but it's smiles like this that make it all worth it!  My heart is happy because he is happy ~



This was the sky over my house on Sunday morning.  It was a beautiful day.  The windows were open (finally!) with a nice breeze blowing through the house.  I have this anxious feeling to clean, nest, and decorate.  It's time to change things over and put away the summer decor.  Maybe clean out a closet or two and bake something with cinnamon.  Yes, definitely cinnamon! 

Okay, okay - so maybe you aren't ready for cinnamon just yet.  Before I jump, feet first, right into Fall here is something easy and breezy to celebrate the last days of summer (since in my book it officially starts on Sept 1st - no matter what the calendar says : ).

I made these Profiteroles on Friday night.  They are SO EASY to make and are the best dessert.  The simplest things are so often overlooked.  Four ingredients!  Seriously!  You already have everything you need, so what are you waiting for???? 




1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs, room temp.

vanilla ice cream
hot fudge sauce (I used Mrs. Richardson's Hot Fudge Sauce - my personal favorite!)
whip cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Boil butter and water together in a small saucepan.  Remove from heat; add flour all at once, beating rapidly till dough leaves side of pan and forms a ball.  Cool 5 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating hard till dough is smooth.



 
Drop by teaspoonful (12) on an ungreased cookie sheet at least 2 " apart.
 
 
 

Bake 16- 20 minutes until golden brown.   Let cool.




With a serrated knife, carefully cut off top 3rd of each puff.   Remove any wet dough inside the puff. 




Fill with as much ice cream as you can and replace tops. 




Pile them into a bowl; keep them in the freezer until ready to serve.




When ready, top with hot fudge sauce and whip cream.



This recipe is from my most favorite dessert cookbook - Susan Branch's Sweets to the Sweet...

 What a way to celebrate summer! 

I'm ashamed to tell you how many of these I ate!  Let's just say they are good, very good...and we'll leave it at that.  I hope you enjoy them as much as I did ~

Before I sign off I would like to say Thank You to Rachel at Mozart's Girl for my wonderful giveaway prizes!  I received my package a few days ago (all the way across the Atlantic!).  What a treat to come home after a long day at work to find something just for me that is not a bill or junk mail!  It felt like my birthday!  Rachel sent me an Emma Bridgewater tea caddy filled with English Breakfast (of course : ), some garden bunting that I love, love, love! (see on my fence above) and some adorable seed packets. 

Thanks again Rachel - I adore everything and am so glad I made a new blog friend! xo




I hope you all are enjoying these last days of summer.  Get out there and enjoy them because before long our crock pots will be bubbling and we'll be carving pumpkins! 

Have a wonderful day, friends!  (Yes, that's toffee-almond popcorn balls!)




Bye!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle!

    I just wanted to say how heart warming your blog is, it has really made me feel good!

    I cannot wait for Fall / Autumn (that's what we call it here!), there is definitely a chill in the air in the morning and leaves are already turning. Bring on the cinnamon swirls and apple pies I say!

    Your profiteroles look so good! I love them but have never thought to make them before, silly me. Thanks for sharing .


    Hope you enjoy the last few days of August.

    Gemma xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a wonderful cycle isn't it? :) The change of seasons seems to mirror life in so many ways. Your profiteroles look fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

    leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, your profiteroles are perfect! (I could just picture them in the window of a Parisian patisserie.)

    I'm not quite ready for fall. Maybe just a few more weeks of summer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The profiteroles look amazing! You are right - even here in Scotland, there is something in the air that tells me that autumn is not far away.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those look so delicious! I would have never guessed that they were easy to make!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way as you. Had such a wonderful summer and I'm sad to see it go. Can defintiely feel a change in the air but I'm looking forward to a beautiful Labor Day weekend at the beach.

    And these profiteroles look amazing! They're my favorite dessert but I've never made them. I'm definitely giving it a shot. Looks so easy! Thanks for the recipe, Danielle! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe summer is almost over. Your little boy is so darling. I remember sending my first off to kindergarten. I worried and fretted and now he is in college, and I still worry and free...can you say helicopter mom? Your profiteroles look yummy. I used to think they were hard to make, but they are blissfully easy to make and eat! Yum! Have a great day. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Danielle, I so agree. The air here is also getting chilly and I am very soon in fall mode - my favourite season of the year!!!!!!!!!Have a great weekend!

    Kristin xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I wish I had a "taste" button on my computer!

    Happy belated birthday to the handsome 5 year old. :)

    ReplyDelete