Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Apple Fritters

Monday was the first day of Kindergarten!



My little boy is growing up too fast.  He did so great on his first day!  All smiles. No tears. And the only one with butterflies was me.



I couldn't be happier with his class and teacher.  I know he's in good hands and learning something new every day.  We have met wonderful people and I feel an enormous sense of community within the school.  Plus he looks pretty darn cute in his uniform, if I do say so myself!  : )

As we were dropping off,  the teacher handed these out to all the Mom's. 




It was a goodie bag with a tea bag, a tissue (to dry tears), and a cotton ball to remind you of the softness of your child.  It thought it was so sweet. 




Monday was also one of those perfect September mornings I love so much.  The air was cool and crisp & everything was wet with dew.  The sun was out, but I still needed a sweater to keep warm.  My coffee tasted especially good. 

It's no longer summer.  The streets are lined with yellow buses and take a look at this....




*Alert* We have candy corn in the house!!!  This could only mean one thing. 
Its officially Fall and apple season has arrived ~  Horray!




To celebrate this good feeling I turned to my love, Miss Susan Branch, for inspiration.  Thumbing through Sweets to the Sweet, this recipe practically jumped off the page (and into my mouth!).

I wanted to make my little Kindergartner a first day of school treat.  Last year I made Apple Pie Pockets (click here to see : ). This year I thought these Apple Fritters would be perfect.  Crunchy on the outside, cinnamon-appley on the inside.  Oh ya!

Here we go...

4 large sweet apples, McIntosh or Cortland
6 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1/8 tsp salt
12 oz beer, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
extra flour
extra cinnamon & sugar

Peel, core, and slice apples into 1/2 inch rings. 

Mix together 1 1/2 c. flour, salt, and beer. 



Beat well ~



Put about a cup more flour into another small bowl.  Mix with sugar and cinnamon & set aside.



Coat apple rings in flour mixture and then cover completely with beer batter.




Fry in hot oil, a few at a time,  about 4 minutes, till golden. 




Drain on paper towels.  Roll in cinnamon & sugar and serve.




Try not to eat them all before your kid comes home from school : )




If they get cold you can always crisp them up in the toaster oven, which is what I did with the leftovers.  Also, don't forget to fry up all little broken apple bits and pieces.  The smaller they are, the crunchier!




Since no one was home while I cooking (which is RARE), I had to give myself a little company in the kitchen.  The Holiday....a favorite or mine!  Oh how I love that little English cottage!  (Jude Law aint too shabby either....: )

I hope your September has gotten off to a terrific start.  And if not, try Apple Fritters and The Holiday.  Oh, and don't forget a cup of tea.  Enjoy. 




Happy Fall!


Danielle xo

4 comments:

  1. Awh he's just adorable, Danielle! Glad he had a nice first day and so sweet that the teacher handed those out. Your apple fritters sound amazing. I'm a big fritter fan myself :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw - glad he's enjoying kindergarten!
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Danielle! Your little guy looks SO happy to be going to school! That is so great....it is so much better to see them be happy then sad! I had a new milestone with my daughter last week. She had her heart broken by a boy for the very first time and I think I cried more than she did! It caught me so off guard too...I just hated seeing her so hurt and crying and there was absolutely nothing I could do to fix it for her! I so prefer the days where you could put a band aid on the boo boo and wipe the tears and then it could be over. I don't know if I can survive 10+ more years of dating.
    Your apple fritters look SO good and I love watching movies while I am busy in the kitchen too! It's a wonderful combo...cooking and movie watching! Have a wonderful weekend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, Danielle, the Holiday is one of my absolute favorites, too! I love that movie, Jude Law and both those houses!!!! And what great snack you made for your boy! Looks delicious! I hope you read my lasts post at my blog and come and follow me on my new blog, because you are one of those I really want to stay in touch with. Sorry for being away for awhile, but having only one blog will help a lot. Have a wonderful weekend!

    love, B. Kristin

    ReplyDelete