Monday, December 3, 2012

Homemade Amaretto

Ok, I'll admit it.  I'm starting to feel a little stressed.  I try so hard to enjoy every detail of the holidays and in the process I end up driving myself crazy. Does that ever happen to you?  I still have so much to do and I can feel the days wizzing by, getting closer and closer to the 25th.  I need to chill.  To de-stress.  Should I take a hot bath?  Go for a drive?  How about make homemade amaretto? Bingo!

This recipe comes to us from Tracy at Shutterbean.com.  As soon as I saw this I knew I had to make it.  Amaretto is one liquor that I absolutely love. I couldn't believe how simple it was and truly took no time at all.  Taste testing along the way was also interesting.  I had a fine night sleep that night! Stress free! Thanks Tracy : )



1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cups vodka
2 tablespoons almond extract
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine water and sugars in a saucepan over medium heat.  Heat until the mixture is boiling and all of the sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and let mixture cool for 30 minutes.

Stir vodka, almond extract, and vanilla extract into the mixture.  Strain through a coffee filter for a clearer Amaretto and store in a sealed bottle.  Makes 3 cups.

You can drink the Amaretto immediately, but you'll find it gets better with age.




I like to sip Amaretto straight, but it's also delicious stirred into coffee or hot chocolate.  Put it in a pretty bottle and give it to a friend ~

Cheers!


PS - there is still time to enter my giveaway.  Leave me a comment on my last post if you love cute Christmas-y things like me! : )





Bye for now!

7 comments:

  1. Homemade amaretto? Brilliant!

    I must admit that I don't really get stressed around Christmas. I have a pretty low-key way of shopping and entertaining, and most of the time I'm able to get through most of December without getting stressed. Of course I always have my moments! But hopefully they're at a minimum, and I can enjoy most of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha, that sounds like the perfect stress reliever, and sounds so delicious!!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! I bet this is good! I had a nice big Marguerita out after shopping yesterday. Cheers! It can get so crazy this time of year! Thanks so much for joining the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so yummy Danielle! Don't you love recipes like this that are easy and turn out so good? I hope you are further along in your Christmas projects and are feeling less stressed! I go behind because we all had the flu the last week of November/1st of December. So I finally just finished the stuff I got behind on today! Parcels amd Christmas cards are all mailed. Kids' gifts are bought and I just have to wrap them before school is out for Christmas! Take care my friend! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear ya on the stress! My last day of work isn't until the 21 and I'm afraid you may find me doing last minute shopping. It think it's important to not hold such a high.. or perhaps unrealistic bar for ourselves ~ especially if you have kids. Not everything will be perfect and that's okay because that's not what the holidays are really about (I need to heed this message too!!)

    I think it's fine to sip a little wine .. or in your case this delicious amaretto! I like all the ingredients so I'm sure it's tasty :)

    Enjoy the season!

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers to you too Danielle. I will try making some. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My shopping and cards, not to mention wrapping and baking are not done, but somehow, ready or not, Christmas comes. Have a wonderful Christmas. Joni

    ReplyDelete