Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Chocolate Coconut Almond Scones



Baby, it's cold outside! Even though Christmas is over, this song is still swirling around in my head.  Not just because it's a catchy tune (the Dean Martin version, naturally), but because it's dang cold! The window panes have what seems like permanent frost on them, and my tea kettle has been working overtime.  As soon as I enter the house, day or night, I go straight to the stove and turn it on.  Tea time is all the time in January.

My skin is dry and I am on a constant rotation of various hand and body lotions.  I stocked up all summer for days like these.  Yes, I am flaky, but at least I smell nice.  Thank you Bath & Body Works.  You are lifesavers.  Also thank you Burt's Bees tinted lip balm (love!) for making my lips happy in the cold winter wind. I would be so cranky without you. My scarf and gloves are permanently attached to my body (I'm actually wearing a scarf right now...not really...yes totally!) and I'm getting sick of looking at my winter wardrobe.  That same sweater again?  Ugh.  I'm looking forward to changing over the closet. 

We are in full hibernation mode here.  We are talking blankets, Netflix, snacks for days, naps, candles, french onion soup, and board games.  It's too cold to do anything else, so we have created a warm haven at home. And you know what, it's not that bad.  In fact, it's pretty wonderful.  I think I like winter after all. I like hot chicken stock bubbling on the stove on a Sunday morning while I watch the birds on their feeder, scurrying, trying to keep fat. I love grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup for Friday night dinner - in our jammies. And that first cup of tea on a dark winter morning....ahhh.  I keep my slippers by the heater so they will be warm when my feet hit the cold floor at 6 am. Once the sun comes up it's so bright because of the reflections of ice and snow.  It gives me hope that Spring will be here soon. My one regret is that I don't have a fireplace.  If I did, you can be sure there would be a fire burning and cinnamon sticks would be thrown in for ambiance : ) That much I can guarantee.

Even as I write this post, there are tiny snowflakes blowing around outside.  They are pretty and look sparkly through the window.  I love baking in the winter because it warms the house.  The smells are comforting and keep the kitchen cozy for hours.  I had a few hours to myself Monday morning while my little one was at school, so I baked these delicious scones.  It had snowed the night before so there was a perfect blanket of white outside.  Tea and scones on a wintery Monday morning.  Yes, I really do love winter after all....









recipe from joy the baker

3 cups flour
2 tbs sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs buttermilk
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup chocolate chips


Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place coconut and almonds on a baking sheet (lined with foil) and toast in the oven for about 8-10 minutes.  Keep a close eye on the coconut.  It browns quickly. Remove from oven and allow to cool. 




Heat oven to 400 degrees. 

In a large bowl whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 

Toss the cold butter cubes into the flour mixture. Using your hands quickly work the butter into the flour mixture, breaking it up with your fingers.  (Some butter bits will be the size of small pebbles and some will be the size of oat flakes.)  Set in the fridge for a few minutes.




Whisk together the buttermilk and egg.

Remove the flour and butter mixture from the fridge and add coconut, almonds, and chocolate chips.  Whisk together and create a well in the center of the mixture.  Add the buttermilk mixture all at once.  Use a fork to bring the wet and dry ingredients together. Lightly flour a work surface and dump the dough onto the counter.  Bring together the dough with your hands into a 1 1/2 inch thick disk.  Use a 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter to cut out 12 rounds.  Note: dough will be sticky, so keep your hands and biscuit cutter floured to prevent sticking.




Place biscuits about 1 inch apart on a greased cookie sheet.  Brush with a bit of buttermilk and a few pinches of sugar.  Bake for 14-18 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. 

Serve warm or cool, with jam is nice too : )  



This was a perfect start to the day.  So delicious! (ps thank you joy the baker! )




Thursday is my hubby's birthday so I get to bake a birthday cake! Yay! Another reason to love winter!

But seriously.....how much longer until Spring?  I really am so sick of that sweater! : - )


1 comment: