Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Baked Pita Chips

 
 
We eat chips and salsa a lot in my house.  My son loves salsa.  And I love how he tells me he hates tomatoes, yet in salsa form he gobbles them up like nobodies business! I feel like in some way I'm tricking him into eating something healthy....and as a mom, that makes me happy. 

In an effort to try to make this snack just a bit healthier I substituted the tortilla chips we normally have for these baked pita chips. I got the idea from Heather Tallman of  Basilmomma.com.  She recently did a segment on her website about healthy snacks for kids.  By using whole wheat pita they can't even tell that they are getting whole grains into their diet (another trick!).  They only take 5 minutes to make and are so much better than the store bought chips sitting on your shelf right now.  Trust me, once you eat one its hard to stop.  I made two batches of these chips last week (my hubby liked them too!).  They disappear fast.

Start with some whole wheat pita bread.  Open it up and lie both half's flat on a board.




Brush with olive oil on both sides.




Season (the "inside" side) however you like.  For these ones I used sea salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Basil and parmesan cheese are also nice options.  If you prefer something on the sweeter side you could also brush with melted butter instead of olive oil and sprinkle cinnamon and sugar on top.




Cut into triangles.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and arranged the triangles on the cookie sheet.  Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 5 minutes.  That's all it takes.




They come out crispy and delicious!




Enjoy these with with any of your favorite dips or just as is.  It will be hard to stop snacking!





2 comments:

  1. What a good idea! I love this kind of food and, you are right: this is healthier than tortilla chips! I will try it!

    ANNA
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. I must check out the post on healthy snacking!

    ReplyDelete