Friday, February 14, 2014

Baked lemon donuts with toasted coconut glaze ♥

 
Hello and Happy Valentine's Day! I've been meaning to write this post all week, but somehow time just got away from me. After a long and busy week (and yet another snowstorm), I'm so happy it's finally the weekend.  Tonight we are celebrating Valentine's Day with a family dinner and tomorrow I'm going to a book signing for one of my favorite people in the world, Susan Branch! I can't wait to see her! Yes, you could say I'm a little bit excited! Susan has been an inspiration to me for years.  I met her once before at a book signing years ago, for The Autumn Book.  It was back in the day before blogland and twitter.  I feel like I know her so much better now. I'm bringing my mother along with me and it's going to be a fun day ♥♥♥  If you follow me in Instagram, be prepared for lots of photos! : )
 
 
 
 
I've had a craving to make donuts ever since I saw this donut recipe on Shutterbean last week.  Tracy has the most amazing donut recipes on her site. Because of her, I purchased a donut pan at Target last year for $7.99.  It has been worth every penny.  The first time I used it was to make these baked cinnamon sugar donuts.  They were so good and my family went over the moon for them.  I don't know who invented the idea of baking donuts instead of frying them, but if I ever meet them, I would like to give them a big K-I-S-S.  It's donuts without guilt, is what it is! ♥
 
I have a mild obsession with lemon and coconut.  I basically try to incorporate these two ingredients into everything I make.  It's my favorite combo.  If you like it too, then you must try these donuts.  They are not overly sweet, and the toasted coconut is so delicious!
 
Here's how to make them:
(recipe adapted from Sweetpeas & Saffron - another wonderful blog I follow : )
 
2 cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
zest of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 eggs - lightly beaten
2 tablespoons melted butter

Icing:
1 cup confectionery sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
2/3 cup toasted coconut


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

To toast coconut - line a baking sheet with foil.  Spread the coconut on the baking and put in the oven for 2- 3 minutes.  Watch very closely! It browns quickly and will burn if you don't catch it in time!  : )





Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and zest.  In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, lemon juice, eggs, and butter.  Add wet ingredients to dry until just combined (do not over mix).





Fill greased donut pan, each about 2/3 full.  Bake 7 - 9 minutes until golden brown. (make 12 donuts)




To make the icing, combine all ingredients until you have the desired consistency. 




Let donuts cool on a rack for a few minutes. 




Dip each one in the icing, then in the coconut. 


 
YUM~
 
 
 
 
Get dipping....



To me these don't even taste like donuts, they taste like little cakes. Which makes them perfectly acceptable to have for desert!



I think it's worth noting that as I write this post all of my donuts are gone : (  I made them on Monday and thus, they didn't last the week.  I will have to make up a new batch for the weekend.  The weatherman said we have another storm coming in on Saturday night. Ugh!!! I'll need some comfort food.  I'm thinking these donuts would taste even better with a little bit of chocolate drizzled over the top. Oh My! This could be dangerous!

Happy Valentine's Day Friends! I hope you all have a wonderful day full of Love and Happiness! xo




For you..... ♥♥♥

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, lemon and coconut is my favorite combo too. What have you done? I'm going to have to go get a doughnut pan and make these before the weekend is up! Thank you for sharing! I'm going to go eat a whole dozen of these now...

    http://howtomakehome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you had a super fun time this weekend! I am loving these donuts. The lemon and coconut combo definitely seems like it was meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Danielle! Guess what? I have the exact same donut pan as you. I bought it a few years ago, but haven't got much use out of it. To be totally honest, I almost sent it to Goodwill a few times. I remember trying the baked donuts once, but wasn't pleased with how they turned out. I haven't used the pan since. Your post has inspired me to try again. The donuts look scrumptious! I, too, am a fan of both lemon and coconut!
    I'm so glad you met Susan! I met her last September in Michigan. It was an unforgettable experience. Like you, she has inspired me and my life immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum! I'm right now trying to figure out just why I sold my donut pan in a garage sale a few years ago. I may have to get another one!

    I hope you enjoyed your day with your Mom & Susan Branch....I love her!

    ReplyDelete