Saturday, April 16, 2011

Acorn Squash


A lot of people are fascinated by Acorn Squash.  They don't quite know what to do with it and they think squash is a vegetable that you just eat in the fall.  Whenever  I serve it to company on any day other than Thanksgiving, they wonder if I've gone mad.  That is, until they taste it. 


I grew up eating squash all year long - butternut, summer, acorn, winter, etc.  You name it, we ate it.  It's probably my favorite vegetable of all time. I love acorn because it's so easy to make, and goes with just about any meal.  I introduced my hubby to it when we got married and he fell in love with it too.  I make it at least once a week.  There are several different ways you can prepare acorn squash, but this way is my favorite.



Cut the squash in half.....



With a spoon, scrape out all the seeds...



Place the half's face down in a glass (Pyrex) dish.  Add a little water (a few tablespoons) to the dish and cover with plastic wrap. 

I have a "vegetable" setting on my microwave.  I hit that button and it cooks for about 15 minutes.  You could cook these in the oven (just until tender) but it would take a lot longer. I find cooking them in the microwave is the easiest and fastest way.



Once the squash is cooked (test by sticking your fork in them - if the fork goes in easy they are done) carefully remove the plastic wrap and drain out the water.

Fill the cavities with a dollop of butter and about a teaspoon of brown sugar (in each).  Put them in a warm oven just to melt the butter.



Each half is one serving.  Once they come out of the oven they are very hot, so I put them in individual bowls.



To eat, just scrape up all the goodness with your fork.  You will never look at squash the same way again. 

On holidays my mother fills the cavities with peas and sometimes cranberries in the fall. 

Try this as a side dish for your next meal.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment