Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Apple Pie Pockets


To celebrate my son's first day of preschool I made him a special desert.  Since we are almost half way through September I felt it was time for "something apple".  We have all been craving it, haven't we? 



I was shopping at the Christmas Tree Shop on Monday and I came upon this apple pie pocket mold for just $1.99.  I couldn't believe it!  I have two others at home that came from Williams Sonoma and I'm quite sure they weren't as inexpensive.  I think they cost around $12.  Sweet!

So last night at 10:00 I made three mini apple pies - one for each of us.  It only took a few minutes and I knew that both my boys would love them.  Here's what I did....

I used one med. size apple for each pie, peeled and chopped.


On a lightly floured surface roll out a piece of pastry (pie) dough.  The recipe for my dough is under my "blueberry pie" post if you would like to see how I make it.  Otherwise you can certainly use store bought.  One single crust will make three pocket pies. 




One side of this mold is the "cutter" edge and the other side is the pocket mold.  Once your dough is rolled out use the cutter side to cut out shape of the apple. 



Flip the mold over and take one of your pieces of dough and conform it to the mold. 

It's also a good idea to spray the mold with nonstick spray before doing this step, because the dough will stick...trust me!



Fill the mold with chopped apples and...

1 tsp sugar
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
a dab of butter



Brush the edges with egg wash to help the mold to stick.



Place the second piece of dough over the filling.  Line up the edges and then.....



PRESS!


Brush an egg wash over the entire pie and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.



Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Bake pies on a greased cookie sheet for 22-24 minutes.



Cool on a wire rack.  These can be served warm, cold, or room temp.  Could also be great with ice cream or whip cream.  We had them as is, just like this.  No time for frills. The smell had gotten to us : ) 


 
My little preschooler had a great first day.  When I asked him how he liked it he said very much.  The teacher was very nice. They colored pictures and he even made a new friend.  They discovered they both liked Scooby-Doo fruit snacks.  It was a bonding moment.



However, when I asked him if he wanted to go back again tomorrow he hesitated.  And then he said he couldn't go back because school was going to be closed tomorrow.  Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment