Saturday, January 5, 2019

Cranberry orange muffins ♥

 
 
It's the first week of the year and here I am making muffins.  I'm really pushing it, aren't I? : )
 
Well it all started when I opened my freezer last night and discovered half a bag of whole cranberries that I had saved from my holiday baking. It was pushed way in the back and I forgot it was even there.  I just love these cranberries and for some reason my grocery store only carries them seasonally.  Needless to say I use them sparingly.
 
Most of the sweets are gone from the house now as we are supposed to be eating healthy this week.  I'm doing pretty good actually, lots of fruit and yogurt, but hey....a little muffin never hurt anyone.  Am I right? ♥
 
How about cranberry orange muffins?  Sounds good to me!
 
I decided to try this recipe from Add a Pinch.  It calls for the zest of 1 large orange.  I didn't have that, but I did have 3 clementine's hanging around my fruit drawer, so I improvised. 
 
They came out delicious! ♥
 
If you are in the mood to bake and want a little treat to have with tea (or coffee) these are perfect. 
They come together in no time at all and are totally worth it!
 
 
*recipe makes 12 muffins*
 
 
 
2 cups flour + 2 teaspoons  for coating fresh cranberries
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups fresh cranberries (or 1 cup dried)
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
zest of 1 orange
1/2 milk
 
 
 
 
 
Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray.
 
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  Set aside.
 
In a separate bowl, toss together fresh cranberries with the 2 teaspoons of flour to coat.
(if you are using dried cranberries you can skip this step)
 
Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time until each one is incorporated.  Mix in vanilla and orange zest.
 
 
 
 
 
Gently fold in flour mixture, alternating with milk.  Stir until just combined. 
 
Fold in cranberries.  Spoon in muffin tins, filling about 3/4 full.  Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar on top if desired ( I did ♥)
 
Bake 27-30 minutes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I made these last night and enjoyed one with my morning coffee and am looking forward to have one (or two) with an afternoon tea.  They are hitting the spot on this rainy January day. 
 
 
I hope you all are having a nice weekend! 
The calmness of January is setting in and I'm kind of liking it! ♥
 
xo
 

1 comment:

  1. I always LOVE anything with cranberries. Saving this recipe for later! xoxo

    Madison | Breakfast at Madison’s

    ReplyDelete