Saturday, June 29, 2019

Lemon Ice Box Angel Cake...because it's hot out!

Hello Friends! Happy Saturday! It's been a hot week. We finally put our air conditioner on and I can't even believe we waited this long.  The important part is now it's icy cool in here even though it's we are reaching 90 today!  Summer in New England is no joke.  It gets hot. And if the heat doesn't bother you the humidity will, just ask my hair : )
 
As I type this post we are having a thunder storm. I love a good thunder storm, don't you? The best part is when it's over the air will feel so much better.  Like those Florida thunder showers we get every time we go to Disney.  They don't last long and once they're over the humidity has broke and it's wonderful. 
 
So now that we are in the thick of the heat & humidity I've been searching for recipes to try that are easy and refreshing.  I've been a little Pinterest obsessed these days, but I can't help it -  it's where all the good ideas live!!  I pinned this recipe a few weeks ago just waiting for the right time to try it.  It really felt like summer this week (and July 4th is quickly approaching!) so I gave it a whirl.  It was really good and just what we needed! ♥
 
Another requirement I have for summer recipes is make sure it's easy, has few ingredients, and that it doesn't take that long to make....this fit all my requirements : ) 
 
 




You start with an Angel Food Cake.  You can make your own or pick one up at the already baked at the  market.  I have to be careful with grocery store bakeries because of John's nut allergy so to be safe I baked my own.  I used box mix and it was very simple.  I just added water and whipped up the batter till it was fluffy.  It was kind of fun, actually!







Hands down the prettiest batter I've ever made.  So light too! It was like meringue!
 
If you've like me and have never baked an angel food cake before my only tip is to make sure you bake it exactly according to he box directions.  This includes making sure your pan is big enough.  The batter is going to RISE and it may spill over.  I put a cookie sheet under my pan just in case and let's just say it's a good thing I did. 






Apparently (according to the box) this is how you cool an angel cake.....hanging upside down on a bottle. 





 
I was so nervous the cake was going to be a nightmare to get out of the pan but surprisingly it wasn't. Once it was completely cooled I removed it from the bottle, ran a sharp knife around the edges, and it came right out. Whew!





The original recipe I pinned from Joyful Homemaking (click here) uses two 9" rounds for the recipe.  I decided to make a bundt cake and cut it in half.  Either way will work.
 
While your cake (or cakes) are cooling, make the filling. 



 
 
Simply stir together two 8oz containers of cool whip and one package of lemon Jello mix.



 
 
What you get is a light lemon-y dreamy filling! It's so good!!!
 
*note* the original recipe called for another container of Cool Whip and another half a box of Jello mix. l felt like I had plenty of the filling (because the bundt cake is obviously a bit smaller than if I used the 9' cakes) and I didn't need the extra.  Also I felt using one box of the Jello mix made it plenty lemon-y.  You can give it a taste and if you want to add more go for it*






Now frost away!  Some in the middle and with the rest cover the whole cake ♥




 
 
I think this would be delicious if you added fruit in the middle.  Strawberries, peaches, or blueberries! When I make it next time I'm going to try that! ♥



 
 
 
Now freeze!  Put the whole cake in freezer and leave it there for a few hours to set.  You don't have to cover it, just find a safe, level space in that freezer of yours ♥
 
 
 
 
 
 
And this is what you get!  It's light and fluffy and very cool & refreshing!  YUM!!!
 
I hope you all enjoy your weekend! It sounds like the rain has already stopped (yay!) and John and I are off to check off some summer bucket list items....stay tuned! 
 
 
Happy Saturday, friends!  Stay cool!  ♥
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Danielle! Haven't had angel food cake in years! I'm going to give it a try. In fact, I have my Mom's old angel food cake pan with little "feet" on the edge to set it upside down to cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks really good! Lemon sounds very refreshing for this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete