Wednesday, July 24, 2019

I'm 45 Today!


Hello Friends! Today I turned 45 years old! Wow.  

This is me this morning, sitting in my car right before going to work.  Yes, when you are an adult you have to work on your birthday. I know.  Luckily it was a good day and I had a cupcake for breakfast (a positive perk of being an adult :) so overall it wasn't that bad.  




I was thinking about how there was a time in my life when I was in my 30's that I truly dreaded my birthday.  Really.  I hated it.  I hated the thought of another passing year and being another year older.  Now, at 45, I see how silly that was.  First of all no matter what we do, the years are going to pass.  As much as we try to slow them down, it's gonna happen. So rather than dreading it, embrace it. Enjoy the journey because we never know what's around the corner.  Secondly, I realized what a gift each and every year is.  So many people have been deprived of the gift of life.  Too soon.  So celebrate your birthday.  I woke up this morning happy to be alive. Hug your loved ones.  Reach out to your friends and say hello. Make them laugh. They don't care if you have gray hairs or lines on your forehead.  It happens.  And I"m ok with it.  

My birthday festivities actually started on Sunday.  We had a lovely beach day with my in laws.  My mother in law brought her famous homemade pizza to the beach to celebrate me and my sister in law, whose birthday is a week before mine.  We had a great afternoon!  On Monday night my Dad made my all time favorite meal - turkey with all the fixings. YUM! Who makes a turkey dinner in the dead of summer? My family, that's who!  And I love them for it. 

Tonight, my actual birthday, Rob and John took me out for a delicious boiled lobster dinner.  (Clearly my birthday is revolving around food.) I LOVE lobster and for the last few years it's been a tradition to get it on my birthday.   I've been looking forward to it all year! It was so good! I was in up to my elbows!  I had the plastic bib on and everything! Well, if I'm only gonna get something once a year I'm going to enjoy it! LOL  

After dinner we went to our favorite place for ice cream and a nice long walk.  It was a beautiful summer night and we had fun! 




Enjoying my beach day and practicing self care :)





Making my birthday wishes! 




Today's breakfast.  Yes I did. 





Felt so blessed for family and friends who reached out and wished me a happy birthday! 
(thank you everyone!! : ) 




My birthday treat! 




So that's 45.  Food, family, friends.  That's all I need.  And a little ice cream with rainbow sprinkles! 

How do you feel about birthdays? Love them? Hate them?  I used to hate them but now I love them.  
It's much better this way. 

Now it's time to crawl in bed, watch a Hallmark movie, and get a good night sleep.  People my age need their beauty rest...or maybe I just love sleeping! 

Have a great day friends!  Count your blessings today!  You are one of mine! xoox 




2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday -- belated,Danielle! I probably missed it with all the care for Gene going on!! I loved the lobster photo! My favorite, too!!! Coming from New England what else would it be!! Have a great year! 45 is a great age -- the all are really. But that was a great time for me and Gene! We were in the thick of his art career -- working on his pencil drawing books together, and teaching his art classes! Enjoy these years. You are right. You don't know what's around the corner and that's a good thing. Enjoy the present and God takes care of the rest! Blessings! Jane xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! I don't mind birthdays at all, it's all about the mindset ;) Someone told me that when she turned 50 she was trying to find the positives, and she decided that she was now old enough to start using endearments, even to strangers, without seeming creepy, so she started calling people "love" or "honey" and said she felt good about it. That's not really my style, so I decided that when I turned 50 I would start saying the nice things that I think out loud. So now when I pass someone and think "Oh, that dress is so pretty on her" - I actually tell her. It's been life changing! ;)

    ReplyDelete