Monday, October 4, 2021

Catching Up! ♥

Hello Friends and happy October! 

In the blink of an eye we said goodbye to September and hello to October!  The air has officially changed around here and it smells like fall.  The nights are cool and I can feel that crispness in the air that October is so known for.  We wait all year for it and it's finally here.   

October, the month of Halloween and all things spooky. Also the month I go apple picking, bake pies, and eat too much candy.  Can I say (in a low voice) it's the official start of holiday season?

You didn't hear it from me, but they are coming : ) 



So, let's catch up! 

I've been absent on here for two weeks, which is huge stretch for me!  Life has been busy, work is busy, and John is still navigation his way around a new school.  October, and fall in general, is very nostalgic to me.  I long for the old days when he was a toddler and on fall days like this we would bundle up and go to the playground.  He'd jump in he leaves and I remember us sitting on a bench eating apples and looking at the trees. The simple things.  It was nice.  I miss that. 



I baked yesterday! It had been awhile. 

I've had this can of pumpkin in my pantry for ages.  It's been taunting me.  Yesterday I finally put it to use and I made these pumpkin chocolate chip bars!  

The smell when they were baking was beyond divine! 




They are a What's Gaby Cooking recipe and are so moist and delicious.  

The recipe is linked here if you want to try them.  I may or may not have overdid it with the chocolate chips, but I bake with emotion and yesterday I was emotional! : ) 




This morning was rainy and dark.  

This cake was my perfect breakfast with hot pumpkin spice coffee.  I brought both back to bed.  Not a bad way to start the week. 

YUM




The best 




My grocery store only carries this seasonally so it's a big treat for me to get it! It will disappear in January so I fully enjoy as much as I can for now. 




I also treated myself to some new "seasonally inspired" shower gel and body lotion.  I'm basically morphing into a pumpkin these days and I couldn't be happier about it! 




In other not so great news I had a little mishap last weekend with the car.  I accidently hit this gigantic pothole (don't ask me how I didn't see it!) and blew out two tires.  John and I had to wait for hours for AAA to get to us only to be told he didn't have a spare tire (I needed two) and had to wait another hour for a tow truck to come.  This disaster left me without a car for a few days.
Annoying. 




Aren't car problems the worst?  I was relieved to have my car back and to be up and running again.  From now on I am going to be extra careful when it comes to potholes! Especially in my town where they are everywhere. UGH.




In more UPBEAT news, the day after my pothole disaster John had to opportunity to march in the Irish Heritage Parade in our town.  This parade had been postponed from St. Patrick's Day due to covid.  In my opinion this was a better time of year anyway because the weather was absolutely gorgeous.

Perfect day for a parade! 




He marched with friends and gave out candy.  We watched from my friend Courtney's house which is right on the main road.  She made a delicious chili and a gingerbread cake which we all enjoyed.  It felt normal and it was nice to see people out and about again. 

 It was a fun experience for John and a great time was had by all! 




In case I forgot to tell you, are you aware that applesauce is amazing on vanilla ice cream? 
A few weeks ago I made homemade applesauce (recipe here) in my crock pot.  Only 4 ingredients! Something about homemade applesauce in the fall make my heart full!!!  I use brown sugar so it's a rich dark color.  It's soooooo tasty! Anyway, if you do this I highly recommend making an "apple pie" sundae.  

You won't regret it.  

You're welcome! 




I am aware that some of you are not onboard with the whole pumpkin spice thing, and that's OK (I still love you!) but other than my beloved creamer, I must tell you that the pumpkin spice cold brew with pumpkin foam from Dunkin Donuts is addictive! Even John is hooked! (Rob never!! lol).

You may think I have a problem, and you may be correct! 

My blood type is pumpkin spice coffee at this point : ) 



I hope you are enjoying the start to October.  The leaves are just starting to change here and I've moved my work desk into my bedroom so I can be near the window to watch the trees.  I don't want to miss a thing.  

Have a wonderful day my friends! Stay cozy!! xoxox 



Rob would disagree! 


3 comments:

  1. You didn't tell me about the car!!!! Yikes. Just glad you are ok! I am right there with you with all things pumpkin spice. It literally became fall here overnight! Miss you so much, and hope to drink coffee with you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh my GOODNESS!!! I have so much to say! First off, yes, totally agree it is the start of the holiday season. :) That is the yummiest coffee creamer, and I just picked one up the other day! I loveee pumpkin and chocolate chip together. The BEST!!! Also, I make homemade applesauce a lot but have never tried it on vanilla ice cream. Thanks for the idea! Oh, and pumpkin spice cold brew … yes please! So sorry to hear about your car … that truly is the WORST! Glad it’s all sorted now, but I’m sure that was awful to go through. I have never been too particularly careful about potholes, either. I guess I should be!
    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete