Friday, June 10, 2011

Olive Oil Can Arrangement


Do you remember this olive oil can?  I had posted a picture of it in the post I did about making pizza.  I was at my parents house one Friday night when we decided to make pizza.  When I asked my mother for some olive oil, this is what she gave me.  I loved it.  I have a thing about "containers" or "vessels".  I'm always looking for different uses for them and when I saw this can I thought to myself what a cute vessel this would be for a flower arrangement.  I asked my mother to save the can for me.  She finally finished up the oil last week, so now it's mine. 


With a can opener I cut the top off.  I washed out all the oil and dried the inside completely. I flattened down any sharp edges with a hammer. This was after I sliced my finger, so if you ever do this be careful.




I put a piece of styrofoam in the bottom and then began to make my arrangement.  I had three bunches of silk flowers that I got at the craft store.  They were very inexpensive ($2.99 a bunch) but I loved the colors and they didn't really look "fake" to me.  Silks have come a long way over the years.



With wire cutters I cut each stem off and trimmed it to the height I wanted.



Flower by flower it was coming together.

Viola! 

I was happy with how it turned out, but now where to put it?



I chose here on my hutch.  I like how the reflection of the can shows in the mirror.   



Next to it is this peony from my yard.  They look good together.




Just goes to show that silks can sit harmoniously with real blooms. 




And come the fall I can always switch these spring flowers out for mums, bittersweet, or pussy willows. 



I'm glad my mother taught me to never throw anything away.  Thanks Mom!  I love my new arrangement.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Great "recycling" - your flowers look good in the tin!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete