Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Some Like it Hot

Hello Ladies! I hope you are having a wonderful start to your week.  I can't believe it's March already.  Time is flying.

We had a great weekend around here.  I hated to see it end.  I made a chicken and pasta dish on Sunday that I can't wait to tell you about and I finally have flowers budding in the back yard.  It's all good : )

Here are a few of my favorite things from the weekend and now....



1. My favorite breakfast in the world.  Warm croissants ~ so good!




2. The sale at Bath and Body Works (buy 2 get one free : )  I stocked up on my favorite spring/summer scents - Paris Amour, Moonlight Path, and Pink Chiffon.  Something for my every mood.  It really does help. Aromatherapy at it's best. 




3. Spring cleaning!  All my cute snowmen got packed away this weekend.  Even though it's still freezing out, my calendar says March and that means its time to change things a bit.  Here's my new Ficus tree.  I loaded it up with white twinkle lights.  What do you think? I love it at night when all the lights are off.  It give the room a soothing feel.  (but I keep it lit during the day too : )



I ironed the table lines and brought out all of my spring candles.  It's nice to change the colors and scents around the house to match the changing seasons.  Another reason I love living in New England.



This is my favorite Paris luminary I got last year at Michael's.  I would love to get another one, but I haven't seen them since. 




4. Crocuses.  Saturday morning I sneaked out back to check on things and this is what I saw!  Spring really is right around the corner.  The temperatures have been cold these last few days but it's supposed to warm up towards the end of the week.  We are looking forward to a friends 40th birthday party this weekend so I have my fingers crossed it will be a nice weekend.  (plus my outfit is shortsleeve and I don't want to freeze : )

5. Chicken and broccoli over pasta with breadcrumbs. 




I made this for dinner on Sunday.  My mother used to make it for us growing up (and my grandmother made it for her growing up).  We used to have it on Fridays during lent without the chicken.  It's so good even without the meat.  You could also substitute chicken for shrimp if you want.  Here's how to make it. 

You will need:

1 lb chicken tenders
1 bag frozen broccoli florets
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbs butter
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup chicken stock
1 lb pasta (bowtie or ziti)
1 cup breadcrumbs - plus a few tablespoons of oil
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Parsley for garnish



Season the chicken.  I used salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Sprinkle a few shakes of each and toss. 

Cook the broccoli according to the directions.  I cooked mine in the microwave, and took it out about half way through so it was just partially cooked.  It will finish cooking in the skillet with the chicken. 

In a large skillet on med-high, heat the oil, butter, and garlic.  Add the chicken tenders and brown on both sides. 


After a few minutes on each side add the partially cooked broccoli, and one cup of chicken stock.  Cover and reduce heat to med-low.  Simmer 15 - 20 minutes.

Boil water and cook the pasta. 



Add the cooked pasta, 1 tbs butter, and Parmesan cheese.  Garnish with parsley.  A few shakes will do it.




For the breadcrumbs: coat a small frying pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil.  On medium heat, add 1 cup of breadcrumbs.




Continually stir the breadcrumbs until they are browned.  Don't walk away because this only takes a minute or two. 




They will be toasty and delicious.  Put in a small bowl with a spoon.




Sprinkle breadcrumbs over each individual serving of pasta and chicken.



This is one of my favorite comfort meals.  It reminds me of my childhood and is also so goood!




6. Some Like it Hot.  I watched this on Saturday while I puttered around the house.  This has got to be one of the funniest movies ever! Watch this clip and I dare you not to laugh... : )


Have a great day friends!


Be back soon ~

Danielle xo

5 comments:

  1. Croissants are my absolute favorite to have with my morning coffee -- or any time of the day for that matter! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Croissants too : ) Toasted with jam...yummy!

    I hope you can remain positive ans hopeful through whatever changes you are going through.

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I die for croissants! That photo is making me drool! And the pasta isn't helping matters either :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chicken and broccoli dish looks so good! You are so lucky that you can use scents and candles. Certain ones really bother me, but I do have good luck with Bath & Body Works. Their scents usually don't bother me and we use their hand soaps all the time! My husband has asthma, so I am careful about what we use in the house for that reason too. However, he hates the smell of broccoli, but I cook it anyway! Ha! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete