Monday, June 11, 2012

Simple Pleasure = Melon Mint Salad

Have you ever noticed that the things in life that bring us the most joy are the simplest?  The easiest things are the best. I think so.  No fuss, no muss. 

We all experience joy in different ways.  Here are a few of what I consider simple pleasures.

Brownies with walnuts, flip-flops, pink carnations...


Hot fudge sundaes, Lego's, starry nights...


Sandcastles, toasted marshmallows, The Walton's...



Yes, I did just mention the Walton's. Have I ever told you how much I love them? They had nothing but each other and the land they lived on, yet they showed more love than any other TV family in history.  I can't get through an episode with crying (sometimes sobbing!).  John-boy gets me every time. 

Crying during The Walton's...definitely a simple pleasure (and also a dirty little secret : )


Ok, now that I have that off my chest, I'll continue.

Love's Baby Soft,  Frank Sinatra, vanilla lattes...




apple pie ala mode, yard sales, my kitchen on a Sunday morning...

 

All easy, breezy, and carefree. 

 Here is a recipe for a mint melon salad that will surly become one of your simplest pleasures.  It's definitely one of mine.  You only need four ingredients to make this salad.  That in itself is a pleasure!  

  

You will need 1 cantaloupe, 1 honeydew melon, 1 lime, and some fresh mint leaves.

Cut melons into halves and remove the seeds.  Use a melon baller or cut into bite sized chunks.



 Or in my case I improvised and used an ice cream scoop....shhhh, don't tell anyone! I ended up with melon "ribbons" instead of balls, but nobody seemed to mind. 

 

Squeeze the juicy-juice of one whole lime onto the fruit.


 
Sprinkle with a handful of slivered mint leaves and toss gently.



Chill until ice cold and serve!


The mixture of lime and mint makes this salad very refreshing. A perfect ending to a summer barbecue meal!


I haven't done this yet, but I was thinking how incredible this fruit salad would be with a scoop of lime sherbet on it! 

Doesn't that sound like perfection on a hot day?!  And so simple.

 

Speaking of hot days, the temperatures here have been rising.  Today was in the mid 80's and absolutely beautiful.  The roses sure do think so! 

Pretty in pink!


Here are my Mother's Day roses.  See how much they've grow!   I'm happy they are adjusting.

Yellow balls of sunshine out my window!

 


Yes indeed, the simplest pleasures in life are certainly the best.  As I type this post I have a cup of hot tea in my favorite strawberry mug with a chip on the rim, and The Walton's are playing in the background (true).  I have my tissues all ready and my heart is full.  I can hear the sound of my son snoring.  He's exhausted from a day of sprinkler jumping!  We love the simple life~!


Good night John-Boy xo


Danielle

{PS recipe adapted from shutterbean.com.  Check out this website for lots of other yummy, simple treats!}

6 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle,

    You are so right. It is the simple things in life that bring the greatest joy. Me & my family love the Waltons too! It's easy viewing and relaxing to watch. Love them!

    I wish we had some warmth and sunshine here. Ever since the beginning of June, we have had wind, rain and cold gloomy weather. So depressing!!!

    Gemma xXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my soul sister! A night with the Waltons and tea! Perfect! The salad looks so good! I must make it! My daughter and I both love fruit! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right!!! Simple things are the best. Takes me back to my childhood and all of the pleasure that the little things brought me. And this salad looks amazing! Will definitely have to try.

    Hope the sun is shining by you today, Danielle! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Danielle, simple things in life are always appreciated. Your salad looks like the perfect salad for summer...very refreshing. I will try it. Glad you stopped by. Enjoy the warm summer days. XO Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, it was just a few years ago in Mexico that I discovered lime on melon - wow, what a flavor punch it gives. Yes, it is simple but fabulous Brownies are right up there too, especially warm and rich (I can even love the boxed mixes) and yes of course the beautiful flowers throughout the world. Oh, the simple pleasures of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many yummy things in one post -- brownies, apple pie, lattes.. you're making me hungry! xo

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete