Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Favorites: Gingerbread Waffles


 
 





Good Morning and Happy Sunday!  I don't know about you, but after the week I've had, I needed a cozy Sunday morning breakfast.  Not only did we have that horrible storm on Monday, I had a crazy week at work, and to top things off I found out my favorite supermarket (the one I've been shopping at every week for 14 years) is closing!  I'm definitely a creature of habit and don't like things to change much, so this news was a shocker for me.  I'm so sad.  Anyway, I thought some comfort food might be in order today.  Dust off the waffle iron, folks....

How about some Country Gingerbread Waffles with warm maple syrup? I served mine with Shutterbean's hot vanilla cider (recipe here) and some apple slices drizzled with honey.  I'm normally a pancake girl, but seriously, these waffles blew me away. It was the perfect November breakfast.  While the cold air and leaves were blowing around outside I was cozy in my kitchen filled with the scents of apple and ginger. It's real life aromatherapy. 

Warm Country Gingerbread Waffles
(recipe from Gooseberry Patch Classic Christmas Recipes)

2 cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1cup molasses
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg

Combine flour, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.  Heat molassas and butter until the butter melts.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.  Add buttermilk and egg, and then add flour mixture.  Cook in a preheated waffle iron until golden.  Dust with powered sugar if deisred.
Makes 9 4in waffles. 


I'm starting to feel better already! Enjoy your Sunday!  Let's make it last....xo

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Those looks SO very good! I would have loved to have those for breakfast this morning! I hope you are well despite having a crazy work week! Sorry to hear about your fav grocery store closing...dont' you hate going to a new grocery store? I always feel so scatter-brained and lost! Hope you have a great week Danielle! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful recipe! I'm sure it smells heavenly. It's the perfect dish for a storm in November. I'm so sorry about your grocey market closing! I would feel the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious looking waffle and so different. I have never tried gingerbread waffles.
    I can imagine the lovely aroma coming from your kitchen. I hope you are starting to feel better.
    Change is not always good. Hang in there, things will smooth out. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummm, those gingerbread waffles look and sound delicious! I definitely need to try those!

    xo Jenny
    www.crazystylelove.com

    ReplyDelete