Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Creamy Rice Pudding

 
Hello Friends! We just got back from a weekend trip to Maine.  The weather was cool, crisp, and a little drizzly.  I didn't get to see as much foliage as I would have liked (due to fog), but what I did see was still very pretty.  The orange and red leaves are so vibrant against the evergreen and birch trees. Its quintessential Fall. The house we stayed at was about 4 hours from home, way up the top of a mountain in Rangeley, Maine. (click the link to see some beautiful photos of Rangeley Lake) We met my parents up there on Saturday.  Mom greeted us with a pot roast dinner.  Just what we needed after the long journey. We had all the comforts of home ♥
 
 The weekend consisted of lots of R&R.  We played games, watched TV ( I watched a whole season of The Tudors), drank tea, and ate way too much! I was literally in my slippers for three days : ) But isn't that what you are supposed to on vacation??! It was a lovely get-a-way that was much needed and deserved by all of us.  We also stopped at this really neat 50's diner for lunch on the way home.  Let me take you back in time for a minute....
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 I took more pictures of the inside, but unfortunately they didn't come out very well. It was too dark : ( What you missed was a long counter with red stools, Coke-A-Cola signs, and vintage photos all along the walls.  There was also a punched tin ceiling and a black and white checkered floor. It was a really cool place!  Check out my Instagram for a few more photos that didn't make it onto the blog. PS - The food was great too!! ~
 
 While I was away I was thinking of something yummy to make for us this week.  Rice pudding has been on my mind for a while now.  It's so warm and comforting and it's the kind of treat that makes you feel cozy no matter where you are or what time of day it is.  Perfect! Since I feel a touch of a cold coming on I knew this is exactly what I need. Even better, when I got home I discovered that I had all the ingredients right in the pantry.  Sweet! No need to make an extra trip to the market.  Let's get to work....
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here's what you need:

3/4 cup white rice
2 cups milk, divided
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
 cinnamon for dusting

 
 
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil.  Stir in rice.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and summer for 20 minutes.
 
 
 

♥  waiting is the worst part..... ♥
 



Combine cooked rice with 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar, and salt.  Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 - 20 minutes.  Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk and beaten egg.  Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat.  Stir in butter and vanilla. 


 
 
Scoop into individual serving bowls and sprinkle with cinnamon (as much as you like!). 
 
 
 
 
I like to eat my rice pudding warm, but it's also delicious cold.  
 

 
 
I put this creamy rice pudding in the same category as hot cereal, oatmeal, and tapioca.  It's something I love to eat in the early morning hours, when it's cold and dark out.  I don't know why.  I just makes me feel good ♥

Have you been leaf peeping yet this season?  If so, where? I love hearing your stories!



6 comments:

  1. Hello Danielle! How lovely that you were able to get away for the weekend to see the beautiful fall foliage in Maine! Your creamy rice pudding looks so delicious. There's just something special about a bowl of warm rice pudding on a chilly day (or any day for that matter!). I use similar ingredients for my rice pudding, but instead of vanilla, I add the zest of one lemon to the milk while boiling. Thanks for sharing your recipe and taking us along on your trip! Happy Wednesday! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosinda! I agree about the rice pudding on a chilly day. It's so comforting ♥ Next time I will try the lemon zest instead of vanilla. That sounds delicious! Hope you are having a great week! xx

      Delete
  2. Rice pudding is my FAVORITE. I am so excited to make this recipe!

    And your trip looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne! Rice pudding is my favorite too! It's perfect this time of year with a cup of tea : ) xx

      Delete