Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Turkey Chili ♥

 

Hi Friends! How are you? Are you craving comfort food yet? I sure am! Today I want to share with you this quick and easy recipe for turkey chili that I think you will love!
 
My hubby is always asking me to make chili.  I found a healthier version (on the back of a can of beans! : ) using ground turkey.  This was my first time using turkey instead of ground beef and I didn't quite know what to expect.  I am happy to report it came out perfectly delicious! You cannot even tell the difference. And the best part...there was literally no fat after browning the meat.  I am always happy to serve my family something good for them! ♥
 
Here's how I made it:
 
 
 
1 lb. lean ground turkey
2 cans Bush's "Chili" beans
(if you can't find Chili beans you can use Pinto Beans - undrained)
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 package Mild Chili Seasoning
(I used McCormick Mild Seasoning 1.25 oz.)
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
 
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Sauté the onion, pepper, and garlic for a few minutes.  Add the turkey.  Cook 5 - 7 minutes, until browned.  Add the beans, seasoning, and tomato sauce.  Stir so all is combined. Cover and simmer on low for 10 minutes. 
 
 
Enjoy topped with shredded cheese or sour cream! ♥


 
 This was my first time using these "Chili Beans". They are pinto beans in a mild sauce.  I don't think they gave the chili any extra flavor, they just thickened it up a bit.  If you are using plain Pinto beans you can just add a little extra tomato sauce.
 
 
 
 The seasoning mix I used was McCormick. If that is not available in your area, I'm sure you could probably find something comparable. The ingredients are chili pepper, paprika, cumin, onion, salt, sugar, & garlic.  I don't like my chili too spicy so this was perfect.  For those who like it spicy I always have hot sauce on the table in case someone needs a shot or two! ♥
 
Not me though : )
 
 
 
The package comes to about 1/4 of a cup of seasoning total.
 
 
 
 
This chili was so delicious and came together very quickly.  It's a perfect weeknight meal! It's hearty and healthy!  
 
 

 
We had a little leftover tonight and I had it over mashed potatoes! I know, I should have taken a picture!  
 
I've already made this recipe twice in two weeks and my hubby is requesting more.  I can picture him having a hot bowl of this after raking leaves or (dare I say...) shoveling snow! It hits the spot on a cold day or even a warm and cozy evening on the couch ♥
 
Which is where I'm off to now.... : )
 
I hope you are all having a lovely week! Happy Wednesday to all! xo
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Danielle! Your turkey chili looks delicious! I always use ground beef to make chili. I like the idea of using ground turkey instead. Thanks for sharing this simple recipe with us! I'm going to be eating turkey this weekend!! It's Canadian Thanksgiving here on Monday and we are having Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house on Sunday evening. I can't wait! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right about this time of year I always google "Danielle's Heartfelt Home Chili Recipe".....one of these years I"ll actually write it down! ;)

    ReplyDelete