Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Almond loaf ♥



The other day when I was grocery shopping I picked up a bag of slivered almonds. (I was overly excited because they were on sale : )  I spent the rest of my shopping trip trying to decide what I could make with them, and then I remembered a dessert my Mother in law taught me how to make one summer, several years ago.  It was in her old kitchen (which had cherry cabinets and wallpaper!), in a house I loved on a street called Tick Tock Lane.  She had been making this dessert forever and one day I asked her for the recipe. It tastes very fancy and I assumed that it would be a very difficult recipe.  I was shocked at how easy it was.  This dessert will impress people, but let me tell you - it's a snap!


 
 
For the first layer:
1 stick of butter
1 cup flour
3 teaspoons water
 
Mix flour, softened butter, and water into a dough.


 
 
Separate into two balls, and then shape into two long pieces.
 
 
 
 
Press flat, side by side, onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
 
 
 
 
For the second layer:
1 cup water
1 stick butter
 
Bring to a rolling boil.
 
 
 

Have the next three ingredients ready so you can work fast...


 
 
Remove from heat and quickly add:
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 eggs
 
Beat until smooth.
 
 
 
 
Spread this mixture evenly right to edge of each dough piece.
 
 
 
 
Bake at 350 degrees until light golden starts to appear - about 45 minutes.
 
 
 
 
For the glaze:
about 1 cup Confectionery sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon of milk
 
Whisk together until smooth.
 
 
 
 
Immediately drizzle with glaze and sprinkle generously with slivered almonds.
 
 
 
 
Let cool completely before cutting into bars.
 
 
 
 
I think it's best to store this in the refrigerator.
 
It's even better the next day!
 
 
 
 
The best part is that this easy recipe makes two loaves!
 
 


Served with espresso, this was just one of the many delicious desserts I discovered from my Mother in law on Tick Tock Lane.  I'm happy to carry on the tradition to my family now.  Its funny how recipes can be a scrapbook.  Like my Nana's apple pie or my Mom's sour cream coffee cake.  It's memories & comfort food for the soul ♥
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! This looks so good! And it seems quite simple to make, too. I love Italian pastries. Ahhh, so many desserts, such little time. I really must give this one a try, though. Thank you for sharing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete