Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Homemade granola bars ♥ (nut free)

 
Hello everyone!
 
Before I start talking about granola bars I have to just tell you how weird the weather has been this week.  On Sunday morning I woke up to a winter wonderland.  All the trees were snow covered and it looked like Christmas out my front window. 
 
And today.....
 


 
 
64 degrees! Boom!
 
 It literally felt like spring.  I took this picture during my lunch break.  I went for a  walk wearing just a sweater.  It was so nice to breath in the fresh air! I came home tonight thinking about the crocus in my old yard.  I wonder if they've come up yet.  They are always the first sign of spring!
 
 
Anyway,  I won't get too excited because I heard the temps are going to drop and we may get snow again on Thursday.  Whaaat?   Like I said.  Weird ♥
 
 
 
 
 
Well, it was good while it lasted! 
 
So since Sunday was a snow day I decided to bake.  I've had this recipe for granola bars for a while now and have been dying to try them.  Since John's nut allergy was diagnosed 2 years ago I've had the hardest time finding him snacks that are peanut & tree nut free.  He always loved granola bars and really misses them.  That's the thing about discovering you have a food allergy when you are 8.  You REMEMBER what all the good stuff tastes like.  It's not like he's never had it before. He's had it and remembers it.  It's really a bummer. 
 
For example: sometimes out of the blue he'll say....:I really miss Kit Kat Bars".  Can you imagine being told you can never have your favorite candy bar ever? I know there are way worse things in the world, but to a little boy that's pretty major : (
 
Anyhow...back to the granola bars (which are no substitute for a Kit Kats by the way, but still very good♥!)
 
I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com.
 
It's super easy and you can add in whatever "extras" you want.  John wanted straight chocolate chip, but I think dried cranberries, coconut, raisins, or nuts (if you can eat them) would be so good in these bars!
 
 
 
 
 
That empty spot is where I taste tested! LOL
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here's the recipe if you want to give them a try:
 
 
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
 
Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper and spray the paper with non-stick spray.
 
In a large bowl combine:
 
4 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup softened butter
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 cups mini chocolate chips
 (add in any extras you like.....)
 
Mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon and press firmly into the pan.  Bake 18-22 minutes.  The edges will be golden brown.  Let cool for 10 minutes and then carefully cut into bars.
 
 *Don't try to pick them up at this point or they will fall apart.  They will set as they cool.
 
Let cool completely and store in an airtight container ♥
 
  
 
 
 
 
I have two quick tips for you.  One: cut them very gently with a serrated knife.  Two: don't try to pick them up while they are still warm or they will crumble on you.  After I carefully sliced mine, I slid the parchment paper on a cookie sheet and put the whole tray in the refrigerator.  Once they got cold they were much easier to handle. 
 
 

 
 
John loved them!
 
Also this photo was not staged at all...: )
 
 
 
 
 
Neither was this one!
 




Store them in a Tupperware container in your pantry or cabinet.  I've been having one with my coffee every day.  They are really delicious!

Much better than store bought! ♥



 
 
Enjoy! ♥
 
 
Have a great week my friends! I don't know if I'll be in shorts or a sweater tomorrow, but that's New England for you! 
 
Thanks for stopping by! Xx
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. We have had the same crazy weather - today SNOW! Yummy granola bars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making my own granola, but have never had a go at making granola bars. Thank you for sharing this. Your posts always inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete