Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Apple Swirl Cake ♥

Today was a bit stressful, I'm not gonna lie.  I really wanted to enjoy today because it's the first day of fall.  In my mind I pictured myself sitting on the porch, sipping pumpkin spice in a cozy cardigan watching the leaves flutter by.  Instead real life got in the way.  A last minute zoom work session (that I was not mentally prepared for), technical internet issues which left my face frozen on screen for way too long, and general 8th grade assignment issues that I had to help John with... all garbled into one hot mess of a day.  By the time 5:00 rolled around I was a walking zombie.  Just when I wanted to sit and rest, the lovely people I live with reminded me they wanted to eat dinner.  Again?  The nerve.  

One meatloaf, a sink full of dishes, and a cup of tea later...here I am.  It's over.  My feet are up and I'm counting the minutes until my head hits the pillow.  

My day didn't go as planned but that happens sometimes.  I know I'll have many cardigan wearing, pumpkin spice sipping on the porch days ahead of me because it's FALL.  It happened.... and that's something to smile about.  

I haven't been apple picking yet but hopefully next week.  It's one of our favorite fall activities and I'm hoping we can still go.  It's all outside so fingers crossed all will be well.

No doubt September is APPLE month.  I love seeing all the varieties in the supermarket this time of year.  If you are looking for an easy apple cake recipe I have one for you.  I picked up some extra apples when I went food shopping last week specifically so I could make this cake.  It's so cinnamon-y and apple-y and there is a secret ingredient that makes it extra special....orange juice! 

After dinner tonight I cut myself a big slice of this cake to have with my tea.  It made me feel so good and I thought it a nice way to celebrate the first day of fall. So even though most of my day was a disaster, it's ending on a delicious note : ) 




~Apple Swirl Cake ~

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 cups chopped, peeled  apples
3 tbs sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix apples, 3 tbs sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.

In a large bowl combine 2 cups of sugar and oil. 

Beat in eggs, orange juice, and vanilla.

In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. 

Add to creamed mixture a little at a time.  Beat until smooth.
  
Pour 1/2 batter into a greased bunt pan.  Add the apple mixture on top of the batter.

Pour the rest of the batter on top.

Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 

Cool for at least 10-15 minutes in the pan before "doing the flip".... 

Turn onto a rack to cool completely. 

Enjoy! 











Happy first day of fall everyone!!!

I'm back on zoom tomorrow so wish me luck : )

1 comment:

  1. That cake looks and sounds like just the right ending to a rough day! Looks so amazing, I'll have to make it this weekend. We've been apple picking already, and the apples this year are absolutely amazing here in the Hudson Valley- the highlight of 2020 (which, let's face it, is a pretty low bar anyway haha.) Happy Fall, Danielle!
    Love, Patricia x

    ReplyDelete