Monday, July 3, 2023

Welcome July! ♥

 


Hello Friends! And all of a sudden it's July.....

I just changed my screensaver to a July calendar and I can hardly believe we are here already! 

Yesterday John and his friend went to see the new Indiana Jones movie.  While they were at the theater, my friend Julie and I met for a coffee.  We celebrated a new month with European Almond pastries (which were to-di-for) and large, heavily caffeinated flavored coffees.  I love this little café and have been coming to it for years.  They have twinkle lights, play old music, and you can sit by the window and people watch.  This weekend everyone is buzzing because of the holiday weekend.  There is a big parade that goes through the square and by this coffee shop every year.  It's fun to see the town square all decorated and preparing for the holiday. There are flags, banners, and patriotic décor everywhere. People seem nicer than usual this weekend, and that's always a good thing.  Anyway the pastry and coffee were divine, and from what John said - better than the movie : ) 

We don't have anything special planned for the fourth this year.  If you've been around here for a while, you'll know that the fourth of July is also my mother's birthday.  We are having a little birthday dinner tonight for her with a traditional birthday pie - blueberry of course!  And I remembered the ice cream. Yay! Because I always forget.  My mother and I share the same birthday month, and it's funny because neither of us don't really care for July.  We hate the heat and like to complain about that together!  Fear not, it might be 87 degrees on Wednesday, but October is coming.  And that's how we get through July. Haha! 




We aren't really fireworks people around here either.  I mean, I enjoy them if I see them, but I don't feel the need to go out of my way to see them on the fourth.  Our town does a great display, but it's SO crowded.  We are passing this year which we are all OK with.  One tradition we will definitely keep tomorrow night is watching the Boston Pops performance and fireworks on TV.  That's more my speed.  Couch side, with a cup of tea and blueberry pie in my lap.  

Happy 4th of July to me! ♥



I've been thinking about all the fourth's of July throughout my life and how they have changed.  When I was little my whole family would do a big cookout at the beach.  My cousins and I would play horseshoes and go canoeing.  I would be barefoot all day!  At night there would be a big bonfire and fireworks (which I always thought were just for my mom because it was her birthday!:).  Up until a few years ago, Rob's uncle would have a big party on July 4th.  We would eat steamers with butter, play bocce, and see friends and family we hadn't see all year.  It was like a reunion. I look back on all these memories fondly and I realize that seasons of life change and it's OK.  My season now is to slow down, stay out of the heat, and enjoy pie with my family.  

That makes me very happy 

Have a wonderful day, friends!  I'm off to check on my pie.  I think she's done!  

Xx


3 comments:

  1. The seasons in our lives do change and I'm ok with that too. We used to be so much busier than we are now and I kind of like it this way. I'm enjoying living more of a slow lifestyle. I hope you enjoy the holiday. I'm sure that pie is going to be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to your Mom! That pie looks like it's going to be divine. ;) And I hear you. I think on July's past and lots of special memories. But I'm grateful I had them and I work to embrace change...because of all the new good found when I look for it. I hope it was a wonderful holiday and that you have a fun bday planned ahead.
    PS: I love that you're such a Fall kindred spirit too. My bday is in October and I'll happily share it with you. lol Blessings. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday. That almond croissant thing looks delicious. I hear you.. I feel the same about New Years. There was a time when the party just didn't stop.. we would be up past dawn.. then when we were new parents we would gather at a friends house.. and have a night of games and fun. Now I don't care. I am perfectly fine with just going to sleep.

    ReplyDelete