Thursday, May 2, 2024

Happy Little Loaf of Bread ♥


Hello Friends! Can you believe it's May 2st?  ♥

Today I wanted to share with you an easy bread recipe I tried on Sunday.  I woke up very early (for some un-Godly reason) and had it in my head that I wanted to bake bread.  What is wrong with me?!  I knew I had a busy week ahead and I thought having homemade bread for toast in the morning would make my days a little less terrible.  

(So far, I've been right : ) 

So off I went to our downstairs kitchen to mix up some dough.  






The recipe comes from this ADORABLE book called  The I Love Lucy Cookbook!  Each vintage recipe corresponds with an episode of I Love Lucy. Most of you will already know it's my Favorite Show since I was 8 so naturally every recipe I make from this book is near and dear to my heart. 
(see my post HERE on the Aloha Cream Pie.  It's amazing!!) 




And to make it even better the recipe comes from one of the most classic I Love Lucy episodes, called Pioneer Women where Lucy and Ethel bet Ricky and Fred $50 that they can give up all modern convivences. Whoever gives up first loses.  Lucy decided to bake bread and accidently puts too much yeast in and the bread gets so big literally pins her against the wall.  

It's the best : ) 






Thankfully, I did not make that mistake with my bread.  Here's the recipe in case you want to try it.  You need a few hours to let it rise, but otherwise it was very easy... ♥

1 1/2 cups warm water 

2 tsp sugar 

1 packet yeast (2 1/4 tsp)

2 tbls honey

1 tsp salt

3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

Melted butter

Olive oil (for greasing)


In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, add the warm water, sugar, and yeast.  Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, until bubbly.

Stir in honey and salt.  Add flour, one cup at a time, until dough forms into a ball.  

Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. 

Grease a large bowl and a loaf pan with olive oil.  Place dough inside the bowl, cover with a kitchen towel and let rise unto dough doubles in size, approximately 2 hours.

Punch down the dough, then place in the greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise for another hour.  

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake 25 - 30 minutes, until the internal temp is 190 degrees (f).

Remove from oven and brush with melted butter.  Let cool completely.


Enjoy! ♥




I cut into thick slices.  So good toasted with real butter! ♥







I have been enjoying toast all week and it's been wonderful. Now I just need to make some homemade jam to go with it ♥


Have a great day, friends! Thanks for stopping by!  




xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. I finally conquered making homemade bread during covid time. It's such a meditative and relaxing thing to do in my opinion. Your bread looks scrumptious! I don't know that there's a better smell in the world than bread baking. Have a blessed weekend lovely Lady! (save me a piece) Lol 😉

    ReplyDelete