Monday, July 1, 2024

Whipped Mascarpone Berry Cake ♥

Hello Friends! Happy Monday! 

Can you believe it's July 1st already?!  Time seems to be going by faster and faster every day. It's a beautiful day here today so I'm sitting out on the back porch. I've got my laptop, coffee, and I'm ready to work for the day.  There is a nice breeze out here this morning and it's actually a little on the cooler side.  It's giving me fall vibes which is nice, and very unusual for July 4th week. 




I was thinking a lot about my mom this weekend because as some of you may remember, July 4th is my mother's birthday.  She would have been 82 on Thursday.  Never have I ever celebrated a July 4th without also celebrating her birthday.  Usually with a blueberry pie and ending the evening watching the Boston Pops fireworks on TV.  It's weird without her. I've also started to go through some of her things.  It's very hard to decide what save, donate, or throw away.  You want to keep it all, but you just can't.  It's so sad to throw stuff away.  I know it's the right thing to do, but it's still hard.   

Anyway, I'm sitting out on the porch now which is actually right outside my parent's bedroom.  There are these huge windchimes that hang on the side of the porch that play the prettiest music you've ever heard.  I think my parents picked them up on vacation someplace years ago. I hear the chimes so often sometimes I don't even notice them.  Since it's breezy today (and they are litterally right in front of me) I'm really aware of the sound and I'm loving it.  It's so peaceful and soothing.  I was thinking about how my mom probably would hear these chimes all night long from her bed.  I wonder if when she was in the hospital or rehab she missed the sound?  When we visited her she always would say she wanted to go home....well she's home now and I'm sure she's hearing the chimes from heaven. 

I will think of her every time I hear wind chimes : )  





We had a very nice weekend here in the Boston area.  The weather was beautiful.  A little overcast and not terribly hot.  Saturday night we took a walk on the beach, grabbed dinner, and ate it right on the boardwalk.  It hit the spot and was a perfect summer night.  (however, I think any night that I don't have to do dishes is a perfect night....:) 




Something about fried food and salty air are a perfect combination, don't you think?:)

We got ice cream too, but I was too busy eating it and forgot to take a pic.  I got cookie dough for a change and it was yummy! 




Back at home the flowers are also loving the summer weather.  

My mom's hydrangeas and lilies are in full bloom.  







I have taken ownership of these plants and check on them daily.  What would life be without flowers in the summer?  

The colors make me smile. 





...especially these orange day lilies because the color reminds me of fall and what's to come.  
I honestly can't wait. 

So last time I hinted that I was going to try a new cake recipe.  Well, I did!  

**WHIPPED MASCARPONE BERRY CAKE **

I saw the recipe on The Food Nanny instagram page and had to try it.  This is definitely a special occasion cake that I made for absolutely no reason at all. 

I have no regrets! 

There are a few steps involved but it is well worth it.  I promise!! 


First make the filling by pureeing fruit and cooking it on the stove to thicken.  

I used blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries.  

Let it cool. 



 
Then make the cakes.  

It helps to listen to music and enjoy the process 



Three lovely layers 




The frosting is rich!  There is heavy cream and mascarpone cheese involved. 

(Just do it....don't think about it.  You're worth it!)





DREAMY! 




Assemble the layers 




It doesn't have to be perfect (mine wasn't : ) 




She's done! 




This is not diet food, but it is amazing, and we enjoyed every last bite. 

 I'll also be enjoying it again tonight! :)

Now that I think about it, every day is a special occasion and should be celebrated. Just think about all you did today.  You deserve some cake.  

I know my mom would have loved this too 

Here's the recipe in case you want to give it a try.  Be sure to check out The Food Nanny website and instagram for more recipes.  Everyone I've tried so far, I've loved! 


CAKE
2 Kamut cup or 2 1/2 all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp French salt
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil or melted butter
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup water

BERRY FILLING
1 1/2 cup mixed berries of your choice ( we used blackberries ,blueberries and raspberries )
3 tbsp water
3/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch

WHIPPED MASCARPONE FROSTING
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract or almond extract
16 oz mascarpone cheese

Instructions
CAKE LAYERS
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare three 8 inch cake pans with non-stick baking spray and parchment paper in the bottom. 
2. Add the Kamut flour, sugar, baking powder and French salt to a large mixer bowl or our dough hook! Combine , Set aside.
3. Add the milk, oil or melted butter ,vanilla extract and eggs to the dry ingredients .
4.Slowly add the water to the batter and mix on low speed until well combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to make sure everything is well combined.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared cake pans and bake for 24-28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs
7.Press down with paper towels to make the cake more dense and moist ! Push harder than you think 😜
Let the cakes then cool completely

To make the berry filling -
1- purée your berries with 3 tablespoons of water then add it to a saucepan with 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons cornstarch
2- cook on medium heat stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and thickens ! Let it boil for about 1 minute !
3- take off heat and let cool completely ( can put in the fridge if you want )

To make the frosting -
1- add the heavy whipping cream , powder sugar and vanilla to a large bowl and whip on high speed until soft peaks form !
2-add the mascarpone cheese to the whipped cream and whip until stiff peaks form.

Layer your first cake with a little bit of frosting on the outside and berry filling in the middle , then repeat on the second layer and top layer only add the frosting.


This was beyond delicious, borderline dangerous...in the best way possible! 



Have a wonderful Monday friends and thanks for stopping by today.  

I'm always glad you do! 

Byeeee! xo 


5 comments:

  1. Hello, Bestie! This is a beautiful post, straight from your heart. What I love about you is that this post is like hearing you talk. I know, because I know. But others may not realize that this is you, and it is beautiful. Hugs and love. You are so right. It is HARD to throw things away. But it is the right thing. Those things brought your Momma joy during her life. She has all the joy she can hold now! And one thing I learned is that if something is really special, take a picture of it. Then you can dispose of it or donate it, and still have that to look back on. Now...about that cake!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Danielle! I'm sorry you are missing your mother. Remember the Winnie the Pooh quote...How lucky am I to have something that makes saying good bye so hard? Try to remember that as her birthday approaches. I know it's hard but it wouldn't hurt so much if there wasn't a lot of love and memories. It's the price we pay. BIG hugs to you. And that cake...OMG I must make that. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey my Lovely! Such a lovely post and the way you miss your Mom is palpable. It makes me treasure mine that much more and every day I get to spend with her. I know my time will come one day too -and I"ll have to make the difficult save and throw decisions too. Biggest hugs sent to you and continued prayers for comfort through this whole grieving process. I have almost the exact same wind chimes and have for many years. I treasure them and their sound. I have no doubt your Momma hears them too.
    And that cake - oh. my. word. I was positivley drooling looking at your pics and reading about it. I'm going to copy that recipe right after this and put it in my computer recipe file. It looks heavenly! Blessings always. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post! My mom's birthday was last Friday, June 28th. She would've turned 71 - so young when you think about it. I miss her. I bought a cupcake for her birthday and wished her a heavenly birthday on Friday. It was so weird not having her here to celebrate. I usually made a chocolate cake for her as it was her favorite. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you this Thursday the 4th. Your mom's hydrangeas are gorgeous! And the cake... it's beautiful and so fluffy, it looks delicious! I'm going to make it this summer. Any day is a good day for cake if you ask me. Hugs to you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I had to get rid of my Dad's things, two things helped - I took some of his shirts and had a local seamstress make pillows from them for my kids and for me. And then I donated his clothes and shoes to a homeless veterans shelter. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, and aside from the keepsake pillows it felt better to think his things were going to people who needed them. Sending you hugs xo

    ReplyDelete