Thursday, February 23, 2017

Grapefruit Yogurt Cake ♥

For you...


It's school vacation week here this week.  Rob and I, along with my parents, have been taking special days to spend with John.  The weather has been beautiful here this week!!! Today we reached 60 degrees! The sun is shining and all the snow is melting.  I can smell Spring sneaking up on us!

This vacation couldn't have come a more perfect time.  I am happy that John has a week off from homework and all the stresses that go along with school.  Back in my day (waaaaay back when) I don't remember 4th grade being so aggressive.  This year he has so much homework I can hardly believe it.  He's been working so hard and looking forward to this break for weeks.  It's been wonderful not having to worry about schoolwork for a bit.  He's been playing outside, watching movies, drawing, and just being 9 - which is all he should be ♥  Yesterday Rob took him to another art class at the library (which he loved!) and today they went indoor ice skating. Tomorrow he's spending the day at Nana and Grampy's. 

Life is good : )


One day I will miss tripping over these...


As for me, I did a little baking at the beginning of the week. I've been on a grapefruit kick lately.  Grapefruit is not normally a fruit I buy, but when I do I really, really enjoy it.  I sprinkle a little sugar on top and I'm in heaven. Something about that smell.....I take a deep breath in and suddenly I feel good. It's magic ♥ 

A while back I pinned a recipe for a Grapefruit Yogurt Cake.  I finally got around to making it the other day.  
This is one of those awesome cakes that can be eaten for breakfast or dessert....or both!  



Ruby Red ♥


This recipe comes courtesy of one of my favorite blogs Shutterbean.com
Tracy has the best recipes! ♥

1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grapefruit zest (zest of one large grapefruit)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon greek yogurt
8 tablespoons grapefruit juice 
1/2 cup powdered sugar


I wish I had a rectangle plate for loaf cakes...:) 


Preheat oven to 350°. Line an 8½x4½” loaf pan, preferably metal, with parchment paper, leaving overhang on the long sides, and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Whisk flour, baking powder, and ¾ tsp. salt in a medium bowl.

Using your fingers, work grapefruit zest into granulated sugar in a large bowl until sugar starts to clump and mixture is very fragrant, about 1 minute.  This was my favorite part!

Add eggs, oil, and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until light and thick, about 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low and mix in half of dry ingredients, then mix in ¾ cup yogurt. Mix in remaining dry ingredients followed by 5 Tbsp. grapefruit juice. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top.

Bake cake until top is golden brown and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 50–60 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack. Poke holes in top of cake and brush remaining 3 Tbsp. grapefruit juice over top. Let sit 15 minutes, then run a knife around sides to loosen and use parchment paper to lift cake out of pan and onto rack. Remove parchment and let cool completely.

Whisk powdered sugar, remaining 1 Tbsp. yogurt, 1 tsp. water, and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl until smooth and drizzle over cake. (I needed a little more liquid so I added another few drops of grapefruit juice). Let sit until glaze is set, about 30 minutes.




 The batter was so fragrant I could not wait to taste this cake!

It's delicious!!!

It's only been in the house for two days and is almost gone.  I might have to make another one this weekend!


Yum...


Tracy suggested making this for Easter brunch.  I love that idea.  Ahhh Easter....you are right around the corner! 


love this view...


I took this picture from my parent's deck the other day.  Since then most of this snow has melted and all you can hear are birds chirping.  In a few more weeks you'll be able to see little green buds on the trees.  

Another season is upon us! ♥


Hi


I really don't want this wonderful week to end, but tomorrow is Friday and time moves on.  This weekend I'm taking John to a birthday party at the Y on Saturday.  It's a pool party! I'm glad it's him getting into a bathing suit and not me! : ) 


Pretty much....


Sunday night is Oscar night.  I'm planning a big family dinner and then I'll be watching the awards in my couture "bathrobe & fuzzy slippers".  It's the same outfit I wore last year but don't tell anybody! ♥   

xoxo 






1 comment:

  1. Hi Sweet Friend!
    This is new to me...and it looks divine!!!
    Thanks so much for the recipe.
    Always love visiting with you.
    Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete