Monday, February 13, 2017

Oatmeal raison cookies (healthy version ♥ )

February may be the shortest month, but it's also won the award for being the snowiest! 
 
John had two snow days in a row last week.
 
You would have thought it was Christmas all over again!
 
So we nestled ourselves all cozy in our cocoon of movies, naps, snacks, and games. 
 
Winter is fun! Snow days are the BEST!
 
 
Right now we are living in a marshmallow world...♥
 
 
 
 
On Saturday John and I were able to get out for a few hours (in between storms).  He was signed up for a kids art class which meant that I was a free bird in the library for 2 glorious hours!
 
My happy place ♥
 
Wandering around the library is my favorite hobby!  It's so quiet and lovely.  Seriously, I would do it every day if I could. I once applied for a job at a library and was heartbroken when I didn't get it - but that's another story.  Anyway...I came home with this novel and 2 cookbooks. 
 
 
 
 
It would have been very easy to check out "Death by Chocolate" which feels like my life right now, but instead I wandered over to the "healthy cooking" section.  I'm trying to find some new lighter recipes that are tasty and easy. 
 
I picked up Everyday Food because back in the day I used to get this magazine and I really liked it.  I was sad when it became discontinued.  This book has beautiful pictures! So far I have bookmarked an Italian wedding soup, oven fried chicken, and a meat lasagna, all claiming to be a healthier version.  
 
 
 
 
 
But naturally me being me, I go straight for the dessert chapter  :)
 
Oatmeal raisin cookies sounded delicious.  This version is made without butter and significantly less sugar.  Hmmm.... (but will they taste like cardboard?)
 
After last weeks brownies....I am in need of something light.  Let's give it a try!
 
 
 
 
I am relieved to tell you that they are so goooood!   I had all the ingredients on hand and it only took a few minutes to mix up the batter. 
 
Trust me when I tell you I resisted every urge I had to put chocolate chips in this batter! Which would have been delicious, but would have defeated the purpose of the whole "light" thing. 
I get it :/
 
I followed the recipe step by step... ♥ 
 
 
 
 
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup raisins
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (with oven racks in the upper and lower thirds).
 
In a medium bowl whisk together both flours and baking powder.  In a large bowl whisk together oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla.  Add flour mixture and stir to combine.  Mix in oats and raisins.
 
Using about 2 tablespoons dough per cookie, roll into balls. Place 1 1/2 inches apart on two parchment-lined baking sheets. 
 
Bake until lightly browned, 15-17 minutes.  Rotate cookie sheets half way through. Let cool 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  Store in airtight container at room temperature for 5 days.  Makes 18-20 cookies ♥
 
 
 
 
Even Rob was surprised at how good they were!  John ate two, never knowing they contain whole wheat flour! Score one for mom! ♥
 
The next page is a recipe for light chocolate chunk brownies.  Is that a joke? 
 
I may have to make them and find out!
 
 
 
 
 
Well, one thing's for certain.  Baking cookies (light or not) makes the kitchen smell amazing! 
 
 
 
 
I hope you are all having a wonderful Monday! 
 
 
Stay cozy and don't forget tomorrow is Valentine's Day! ♥♥♥
 
 
 
 
 
Byeeeee! xoxo

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Lucky you!!!!
    Two storms!!!
    Sounds idyllic. : )
    Thanks for the recipe...
    I love oatmeal cookies.
    Even without chocolate chips.
    But raisins?? Never! : )

    ReplyDelete