Monday, February 22, 2021

Apple Fritter Cinnamon Swirl Bread ♥


 
Good morning friends! 

I hope you all had a nice weekend.  Ours was good.  Nothing too exciting but honestly, that's the way I like it.  Yesterday I spent the day cleaning, baking, and puttering around the house.  I took down all my Valentine's Day decorations.  It was a bit sad to say goodbye to the hearts, but I must admit, the clean "non cluttered" look is refreshing for now.  Next week I'll put out a few St. Patrick's Day do-dads.  I do love all the green because it reminds me of Spring.  We've noticed the daylight is sticking around a bit longer these days (just slightly, but it's enough) and yesterday the sun was shining! After such a gloomy week last week, it was so nice to see some rays through the windows.  It really does lift the mood.  So many are suffering from weather conditions right now.  Hard to believe we have to endure more craziness.  There is hope friends.  Spring will come.  I can guarantee it. 

In other news, I tried a new recipe yesterday that I must share with you!  I've been craving apple for the last week.  Maybe because the weather is so depressing and apple-cinnamon is comforting to me or maybe it's due to my extreme love for all things FALL. Regardless, I had the urge to bake something apple so that's what I did.  



I saw this recipe on Pinterest and I thought it looked interesting.  Would it be different from a plain apple cake? Let's find out. 

The recipe comes from Home Is Where The Boat Is 

Go check out Mary's website for gorgeous photos and food inspiration! 

For now, here is her recipe.  I followed it step by step, except she recommended Granny Smith apples, but I used Cortlands because that's what I had.  I also did not make the glaze because I thought is was sweet enough without it.  Honestly, we didn't miss it at all : ) 

Cinnamon Swirl Apple Fritter Bread, recipe adapted Food Network

Makes (1) 9 x 5-inch loaf, approximately 8 servings

Ingredients

1/3 cup light brown sugar

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 medium apples, peeled & chopped 

2/3 cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened

2 large eggs, room temperature

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment paper, with ends hanging over edge of pan. Spray parchment with nonstick spray.

Mix brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl; set aside. Toss apples with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and remaining teaspoon cinnamon in another bowl; set aside.

Beat butter and remaining 2/3 cup granulated sugar together with mixer until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time; add vanilla extract.

Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together in another bowl, then add to creamed butter mixture and beat until blended. Mix 1/2 cup milk into batter until smooth.

Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the chopped apple mixture.

Sprinkle half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of apple layer.

Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining chopped apples, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a knife.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cover with foil during last 10 minutes of baking time to prevent overbrowning if needed.

Let loaf rest in pan for 15 minutes , then remove from pan using edge of parchment and place on wire rack to cool completely.


*this recipe looks like a lot of steps but it came together easily and quickly, just so you know ; )



Before...


After...



I must say, this cake turned out DELICIOUS!  I'm still not sure why it's called apple fritter cake, but all I know is that it's yummy!  I couldn't wait until it cooled completely to cut into it so my first slice was still warm.  OMG.  It tastes like a combination of apple pie and apple cake.  So so good.  

I'm actually off to have a piece now with my coffee. I wish I could share with all of you! 

Have a wonderful day my friends! 

See you on Wednesday! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! This is definitely a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely making this! I have tried several recipes and on your recommendation, I bought that donut pan. I love that they are not huge...then I can have two....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing! I feel like I an almost smell it through the screen. Hee hee. ;)

    ReplyDelete