Friday, February 5, 2021

Bananas Foster ♥

Hello Friends! Friday already 

Did you have a nice week?  Mine was ok.  Nothing special.  Our big snowstorm turned into more of a rainstorm.  It's been cold and gloomy here all week, which means I've had no energy at all.  Coffee helps.  So does a comfy couch with reruns of Three's Company & Everybody Loves Raymond. 
Yup, there's where I'm at this week.  Don't judge : ) 

I'm hearing there's more snow on the way next week.  Mr. Groundhog said we are in for six more weeks of winter and I have a feeling he means it.  The good news is on the other end of that six weeks is beautiful spring days with green trees and blooming flowers.  
We'll get there. We always do. 

Last night we got take out for dinner.  I got my usual meatball sub (which was delicious : ). 
To jazz up dinner I thought I would make a special dessert that basically required no effort at all.  Bananas foster is one of those desserts that sounds very fancy, but in reality it's very easy.  It requires only a few ingredients and takes 5 minutes to make.  

Perfect for when your week has been blaaaah, and you need a little something to liven it up.




 These bananas have seen better days.  

So it was bananas foster or banana bread. I chose the quickest option. 






Melt butter...



add brown sugar...




stir in rum, vanilla, & cinnamon... 




add bananas...



let it bubble....




serve over vanilla ice cream... 




It's the combo of the hot sugary bananas over the cold ice cream that makes this dessert so tasty.  It was a big hit last night.  It definitely jazzed up our take out dinner.

Here are the exact measurements if you want to give it a try  

1/4 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 1/2 tbs rum
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 ripe bananas, sliced
vanilla ice cream

Melt butter in a large skillet over med-high heat.  Stir in sugar, rum, vanilla, and cinnamon.  When the mixture starts to bubble add bananas. Cook for 2 minutes.  Serve immediately over ice cream. 

*side note - after you add the rum you could ignite it and to the flambé thing, but I did not.  Number one, I did not want to burn the house down and number two, presentation would have been lost on my family who only wanted to eat it...not look at it : ) 

I hope you all have a nice weekend!  Are you planning on watching the Superbowl? We are.  
I'm making pizzas and we'll try not to discuss the mixed feelings we have over Tom Brady : )

See you on Monday! xo 

                                                                    

1 comment:

  1. ooooh, and I have some older bananas! I'm out in northwest NJ, and we had 35.5 inches of snow! It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete