Friday, January 12, 2024

Hanging in there (and an apple swirl cake) ♥

Hello Friends.  Happy Friday!  

I had the weirdest experience yesterday.  I thought I heard my mother calling me.  I was upstairs and I could swear I heard her calling me from the kitchen.  It was her voice. When I realized it wasn't I felt two things.  Happy because I remembered what her voice sounded like.  I never want to forget it.  But then I felt sad because I realized she wasn't there and she'll never call me again.  I've felt empty ever since.  I don't know what to do with these feelings except let myself feel them. So that's what I'm doing.  Letting myself feel them.... 




 
I've been feeling under the weather this week anyway due to a cold so maybe the Dayquil has something to do with it.  I'm trying to get as much rest as I can and stay cozy at home.  That's not hard to do.  I have so many things on my to-do list that did not get done this week but I'm not stressing over it.  Those days are over.  There's always next week : ) 




We managed to finish off the apple cake I told you about on Monday.  It was my mom's favorite.  She gave me the recipe.  There is something special about it that people can never put their finger on.  I'll tell you the secret ingredient....it's orange juice!  I've shared the recipe before, but in case you missed it here it is.  If you want to put your oven on and let the smell of apples and cinnamon waft (is that a word??) through your home, then bake this over the weekend.  

It's soooo good! 





~Apple Swirl Cake ~

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2 cups chopped, peeled  apples
3 tbs sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tsp vanilla

3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Mix apples, 3 tbs sugar, and 1 tsp cinnamon in a bowl.  Set aside.

In a large bowl combine 2 cups of sugar and oil. 

Beat in eggs, orange juice, and vanilla.

In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. 

Add to creamed mixture a little at a time.  Beat until smooth.
  
Pour 1/2 batter into a greased bunt pan.  Add the apple mixture on top of the batter.

Pour the rest of the batter on top.

Bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 

Cool for at least 10-15 minutes in the pan before "doing the flip".... 

Turn onto a rack to cool completely. 

**I made a quick glaze with confectionary sugar and apple cider and drizzled it on top **





I wish she was here to share it with me. 

But I know she's here's watching over me.  I guess that's the next best thing.  And how wonderful it is that I can bake her recipes and share then with the people I love (like you! : ). 





So this is where I've been most of the week.  On my couch, watching tv, while the sun sets through the blinds.  I'm not gonna lie, I usually love the winter.  It's my favorite season, but this year I'm longing for the warmer weather.  How long until Spring?  

(Not pictured are tissues and a hot mug of something.)  



I made this yummy soup this week too.  We finished it up last night.  It was a chicken soup and I added a few handfuls of spinach for an extra boost.  I want to make more soup this weekend.  Sick or not, it's soup season.  Don't you just LOVE soup season? Me too 




And here's my current view off the back deck.  The river has thawed and is very high due to all the rain we've had.  This morning there were so many geese out there.  It was definitely some kind of meeting!  Maybe they are getting ready to fly south.  Something  I wouldn't mind doing....lol 
It's nice and still now.  




I'll leave you with this beautiful poem I found on Pinterest.  
It made feel happy and sad at the same time. A feeling I'm going to have to get used to. 

I hope you all have a nice weekend.  We have more rain on the way!  I'm getting a needed haircut tomorrow morning and then putting the rest of my Dad's Christmas decorations away.  
On Sunday we are going to my mother in laws for a nice dinner.  It's very cozy over there and I'm looking forward to it.  I'm sure there will be a fire in the fireplace and something delicious on the table. 

Hugs to you all and thank you for all your nice comments and support here and in IG 
I appreciate it with all my heart!

XO 

4 comments:

  1. It is cold and snowy here. I love soup, but my husband does not. He is having bean soup with ham and cornbread tonight and I will make some potato soup for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear Friend - how I wish you were a neighbor and I could give you huge hug and share in some coffee or tea and goodies. And listen to you share so many stories and memories about your Mom. I think you're exactly right about feeling all the feels. It's part of grief that's important, although so very difficult.
    Thank you so much for sharing that cake recipe. It sounds wonderful!! I've copied it and look forward to making it some day. Such a nice way to remember someone we love, isn't it? Make something they loved too and let it remind us of them in the best ways.
    Wishing you so many blessings always and especially for this week ahead. Stay cozy. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you are feeling better now. Both the cake and soup look comforting.

    ReplyDelete