Monday, January 8, 2024

Happy New Year ♥

Hello Friends! Is it too late to say "happy new year?"  If not, well....happy new year!  

I just realized this is my first post of the new year. We welcomed the new year very quietly.  We ate a nice meal and played some fun card games with my Dad.  With barely one eye open I did manage to see the ball drop and I made my New Year's wish.  The next day I took my tree down.  Another Christmas packed away until next year. Never could I image when I put up my tree what this holiday season would bring.  I thought about that as I wrapped ornaments in tissue and balled up strings of lights and packed them in bins until next year.  Life can be so unpredictable.

Anyway, since then I've been trying to get back into the swing of things, catching up on work and daily tasks.  I've been cooking again which has made me feel good.  Life goes on as they say.  

Welcome to 2024 



  

It snowed yesterday.  Well actually it rained, then snowed, then rained, then snowed, then froze.  So basically, it was mess.  For certain it was cold and no way was I stepping one toe outside this house.  It was Sunday and a good day to stay warm and cozy.  I cleaned a little, put a pot roast in the crockpot, and baked my mother's favorite apple cake.  It felt good to do those things.  I was feeling ambitious so I decided to try my hand at a Joanna Gains bread recipe that's been on my mind for a while.  You know me and my bread.  It's what I love : ) 

So while the wind howled outside, I started on my dough. 

 ♥



While I set it aside to rise I did more cleaning, drank more coffee, and listened to some music.  

Back to the dough...

I had to make a braid.  I drew a blank.  Do you think I could remember how to do it?! And I had no one to ask.  It took me a few minutes until it clicked. I got really worried there for a minute! 

Three pieces, over, under, over, under... now I remember! 




Whew! 




My skills could use some work but at least it resembled a braid.




The recipe called for sesame seeds but I didn't have any so I used Everything Bagel seasoning.  

I had recently seen someone online do that and it sounded good. 



In exactly 28 minutes I got this.  Yay! It actually worked!  

The truth is it was a very easy recipe to follow (aside from the braiding! lol). 

I find that with most all Joanna Gains recipes. 

(this one is from The Magnolia Table Vol 2 cookbook in case you're wondering)

It was astonishing to me that I actually made something that looked this good.  

I guess anything is possible when you have an angel on your shoulder.  And I do : ) 



Maybe this is the year of trying new things.  Maybe it's the year of not being intimated or being afraid something is too hard.  If I mess up and can't make a braid, so be it.  It will still taste good.  And it did.  It sopped up that pot roast like a dream.  

My heart was happy  



So, today it's the start of a new week and back to work.  I miss Christmas vacation and days off with all of us home watching movies and taking naps.  Those are the best days.  The ordinary days that mean so much. 

It's still freezing out but I did see little gleams of sunshine through my office window earlier.  That's a good sign. Still not going out though.  Not today anyway. Maybe tomorrow.

Have a wonderful day friends!  I hope you are staying warm and cozy.  It's mid afternoon now and it's time for tea and a snack. There's still some apple cake left over from last night.  It's so yummy! 

I'll share the recipe this week  

Byeeee! xx 

4 comments:

  1. Continuing to send you special hugs, Danielle! Your bread looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Danielle! I'm sure you Holiday was very, very different this year. We do all have to remember that life can change at any moment no matter how much we'd like it to stay the same. It's hard and I'm sending you big hugs. I am SO missing my 10 days off between Christmas and NY. Those days are the best!! Your braid turned out FABULOUS!!! In my late teens, early 20's I wanted to start really learning to cook and my Grandmother and I would talk about it weekly 1200 miles apart. Her advice was to go for it and if you messed up, you'll do it differently next time. I loved that about her. Keeping you and your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your braided bread turned out to look delicious! And I have that same bowl with the cherries! I hope you have a blessed week and stay warm and cozy inside your home. Ours is supposed to get icy next week and we are Texans...meaning we won't know what to do with ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ♠️♠️♠️♠️♦️♠️♦️♠️♠️Investment is one of the best ways to achieve financial freedom. For a beginner there are so many challenges you face. It's hard to know how to get started. Trading on the Cryptocurrency market has really been a life changer for me. I almost gave up on crypto at some point not until saw a recommendation on Elon musk successfully success story and I got a proficient trader/broker Mr Bernie Doran , he gave me all the information required to succeed in trading. I made more profit than I could ever imagine. I'm not here to converse much but to share my testimony; I have made total returns of $20,500.00 from an investment of just $2000.00 within 1 week. Thanks to Mr Bernie I'm really grateful,I have been able to make a great returns trading with his signals and strategies .I urge anyone interested in INVESTMENT to take bold step in investing in the Cryptocurrency Market, he can also help you RECOVER your lost Cryptocurrencies. you can reach him on WhatsApp : +1(424) 285-0682 or his Gmail : BERNIEDORANSIGNALS@GMAIL.COM
    , bitcoin is taking over the world, tell him I referred you♦️♠️♥️♠️♠️♥️♠️♦️
    ♠️♥️♠️♦️♠️♥️

    ReplyDelete