Monday, August 29, 2011

How I Survived Hurricane Irene Part II

I woke up early Sunday morning happy to see that we hadn't blown away during the night. In fact, as usual things were not as bad as they seemed to be the night before and the storm has been downgraded (in my area anyway) to nothing more than a tropical storm.  All our trees were still in tact and no water was dripping where it shouldn't be.  Whew!

It was, however, still raining heavily with strong winds blowing against the house.  The kitchen smelled like the morning after a holiday because of the onion soup that had been bubbling on the stove the day before.  I was still in a cozy/domestic kind of mood, so I did the next best thing to making soup.  I made cookies. 

Once you have homemade biscotti you will never go back to store bought. Here's how to make them. 

You will need:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups sugar (divided)
3 eggs
1 tsp anise
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tsp milk

Cream butter and 1 cup of sugar.  Add eggs, one at at time.

Stir in anise.  Combine dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.

Stir in almonds.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or aluminum foil.  Spray with cooking spray.

Divide dough in half.  Spread into two rectangles, approximately 10 x 4 ".  (note: the dough will be sticky.  Start with your hands, and then spread/shape with a spatula.)

Brush with milk and sprinkle with remaining sugar. 

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and reduce heat to 300 degrees.  Lift rectangles, with paper or foil, onto a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes. 

Once cooled remove from paper and transfer to a cutting board.  Cut diagonally into slices measuring around 1 inch thick.  *Tip: use a serrated knife*

Place slices with cut side down onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for ten minutes.  Turn cookies over and bake for ten more minutes. 

Remove from oven and let cool on the stove top.  I hear Hubbie. Better make morning coffee...

I made these cookies in the wee hours of the morning.  While the rest of the East coast was watching hurricane coverage, I was watching Uncle Buck on cable and making biscottis.  When Hubbie got up  I served him one with his coffee.  It just so happens he is my official taste tester and what better way to start a Sunday morning?  These are the perfect cookie.  YUM!

As I type this blog post (Sunday night) I can still hear the rain, but the winds have died down.  Good news is things are looking up for tomorrow.  My plants will be able to see the sunlight again and I can put my flag back out in the yard.  We survived yet another storm.  Personally, I much prefer a good old fashioned November blizzard to a hurricane.  They are much prettier, but regardless, I'm glad it's over. 

And that's how I survived Hurricane Irene ~

Good News: After next weekend it will officially be September.  The other day I spotted this in my front yard.  It's here!

I've got my quilts and blankets all ready for evening snuggling.

Here's a peek into my candle cabinet.  Can you spot the pumpkins?  Soon my kitchen will be filled with the aroma of Pumpkin nice!

I hope, wherever you are, you all survived the storm.  Did you make soup? Or cookies?  Did you happen to see Uncle Buck on Sunday morning?  I hope you did. So funny! 

Have a wonderful week and I'll be back soon.  We are having friends over for a Labor Day party this weekend.  Let's hope for better weather : ) 



  1. The cookies are awesome. Thanks for the receipe.

  2. your biscotti look wonderful.. This family totally is in love with anise so I must give this a try.. Thank you very much for your well wishes for the parents.. They are both doing very well. xo marlis