Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rainy Summer Sunday


This past Sunday was rainy and gloomy.  I'm sorry to say that when I woke up on Sunday morning the weather matched my mood.  I was in a funk.  You the know that Carpenters song "Rainy Days and Mondays"? Well that was me, except it was "Rainy Days and Sundays".  I usually love the rain and I always love Sunday's - I just had things on my mind.  Too many to mention or even sort out.  I think that was part of the problem.  Anyway, Rob the hubbie, must have known things weren't good with me because this is what I saw when I came out of the bedroom.....

He pulled out three sections from the Sunday paper that he knew I would love - An article on Lucille Ball (because it was her birthday on Saturday), a flyer with coupons for a Michales that just opened down the street, and my favorite - the travel section which spotlighted Paris - my city of lights. Smart man.  I poured myself a coffee (which you can see is already half gone) and mentally checked out for a few minutes.  After the coffee kicked in and I read my papers I began to feel a little better.



Whenever I have things weighing on me I need to be productive in some way, shape, or form.  I know I can't solve all the problems in the world, or even please half the people I know - so I do what I know I can do.  I put a pot of sauce on the stove and let it simmer.  The house started to smell good and I felt myself moving a little faster.  Funny how bubbling tomato sauce can generate energy. 

There was lots to do around the house.  Like this....



This is what Sunday mornings look like around here.  The "boys" were downstairs playing trains, so I decided to tackle this mess in the living room - which was abandoned.  I had to or else I wouldn't have been able to vacuum.  I don't mind organizing and cleaning.  I have to know where everything is, so when a little person asks me "Mom, where is (fill in the blank)?" I will know.  Mom's are smart like that, aren't we?



After all the cleaning was done I was able to do some "flowering".  I picked a bunch of flowers from the yard on Friday but hadn't had time to cut or arrange them.  Since I was feeling drab anyway I thought a little color would cheer me up.  The rain was pouring and the wind was howling, but in my kitchen was a rainbow.




I have a slight obsession with small vases.  I have them all over the house, just so I can have little bursts of blooms in every room.  This one is actually a creamer with a picture of a cow on it.  I love using it as a vase.

While I was "flowering" I was thinking about everything from scheduling my next dentist appointment, to The New Jersey Housewives (another obsession), to what I will be feeling on my son's first day of preschool - Terror? Anxiety? Joy????.  Maybe all of the above?

That's a very broad spectrum, wouldn't you say?  Funny how your mind can wander from one thing to the next when you are trying to keep busy.   



The little vase on my dresser is milk glass.  I have a small collection of milk glass that grows a bit bigger each year.  I look for it in junk stores and at yard sales.  I love it so much.



These flowers brightened up my bedroom : )

The little box you see on the right was a gift from my parents.  It came with beautiful stationary in it and was given to me Just Because. Those are the best gifts. So thoughtful.  I love it so much that I took out the stationary and decided to use it for a jewelry box.  It's perfect!



Back in the kitchen to spruce things up, this is a depression glass juice glass that I think makes a pretty vase for roses.  Pink with pink is a cute combination.



More milk glass....  I got this pitcher as a hostess gift last spring.  I've always used it as a vase. 




Puttering can really make the time go by fast, and although I didn't solve all my problems, I was productive and did make the house look pretty.  What more could I ask for on a rainy summer Sunday?  Maybe a nice dinner with my family and time to count my blessings.  Got it. 

And guess what?  I realized there is a good thing about days like this.  They never last.  Eventually, the sun comes out, all your troubles fade away and instead of gloom and doom, your mood feels more like this -



Oh, what a feeling!

1 comment:

  1. So glad your day got better! Love the flowers - they always cheer me up too.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete