Wednesday, August 3, 2011

One Month To Go...

Hello Everyone and Happy August!  I can't believe we are in August already.  Where did July go? 

The month seemed to go by so fast. 

Here's a few highlights of what I did....


I had a birthday....


Did some sightseeing (Essex, Conn)...



And did some baking...

It's been SO HOT this summer, that I'm happy to say that we only have one more month to go until it's officially fall - cool and crisp - leaf-peeping season. Ahhh.....

Until then let's try to enjoy what's left of the summer and hope that the days will become less hot and more comfortable.  My son has been loving going to the beach everyday for swimming lessons, and he also has a birthday coming up in two weeks.  Those two things alone can chalk it up to a great summer.  Although I already told hubbie that the day after the birthday party I am decorating for fall!  In my mind, I'm already there... : )


I love living in New England because the seasons are always changing.  There is always something to look forward to. 

Anyway, I wanted to share with you this salad I made for dinner tonight.  We love, love, love beans around here and I'm always tyring to think up new ways to use them.  They are so good for you and luckily my little one likes them too.  Here's my recipe for summer white bean salad.



All you need is...

2 15 oz cans cannelloni beans (I use Goya beans)
1/2 cup chopped black olives
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped red onion
1 large garlic clove
2 Tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
salt & pepper

Rinse and drain beans. 



In a large serving bowl combine beans, olives, celery, and onion.



Add chopped garlic.  (If you aren't a fan of raw garlic you can saute it in a little olive oil first, then add to the salad : )



Add chopped parsley. 


Combine the olive oil and white wine vinegar and drizzle over the salad.  Toss well.  Add salt  & pepper to taste.  Easy, right?

Here's a picture of my hubbie's dinner plate tonight.  I snapped this picture right before he started eating....



We had lemon chicken tenders, broccoli, sweet potatoes, and this white bean salad.  As you can see I'm slowly transitioning.  I served a summer salad with sweet potatoes. Clever, no?  I'm inching my way toward fall....



Tonight we had the most wonderful rain storm.  I love it when it rains.  The house feels cozy inside, even in the summer, and after it's over the air is clear and cool.  Plus the grass gets watered for free - always a plus : )   Tonight, when I came home from work (in this rain) I put socks on, cooked dinner, and after my little one went to bed, we had tea and watched Shark Week on TLC.  Another reason I'm glad the summer is almost over.  After watching that show, I don't think I'll ever go in the water again.  Eeek!


Have a good week and I'll be back in a few days with a great appetizer idea.  Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment