Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread




 Hello Friends!  I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend. The weather here couldn't have been better - sunny in the 70's! 

I made a special 4 o'clock supper especially for my Mom.  We were surrounded by family, close friends, and lily's of the valley (her favorite flower : ). 




Setting the table for a dinner party is my favorite part.  I started preparing the night before by taking out the dishes I wanted to use.  Growing up my mother had these blue dishes in our kitchen.  I always LOVED them!  I kept one as a memento and over the years I've collected the others at yard sales and antique stores. Whenever we have a special occasion I take them out.  They bring back memories for all of us.  Many, many years of meals were eaten on these dishes!  Good times. 



When I came home from church Sunday morning this was waiting for me with a card from my Hubby and son.  I love yellow roses! They know me well.  And I love knowing they know me well. 

"To know, know, know you....is to love, love, love you....and I do..." - The Teddy Bears

We had a lovely dinner of sauteed dill chicken, corn on the cob, roasted green beans (recipe coming soon), and baked potatoes.  The corn on the cob was especially for my son.  It's his favorite veggie!




For dessert I served my favorite lemon coconut cake and chocolate chip banana bread.  I couldn't choose between the two so I made both!  I assumed I would have leftovers, and that is quite alright with me. I live for leftovers.  I've been having this banana bread for breakfast every day since Sunday.  I feel guilty because of the chocolate, but then I remember that it's banana bread so I'm getting my fruit - it's got to be healthy...right? 

This recipe is so easy.  You don't even need an electric mixer.  Take a peek...

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 bananas, mashed ( = 1 cup mashed banana)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease 9" x 5" loaf pan. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.



Mix in oil, mashed bananas, vanilla, and eggs. {At this point resist the urge to sing The Wiggles "Hot Potato/Mashed Banana"...if you live with a toddler in the house you know what I'm talking about}




Stir in chocolate chips (do not over mix).



 Pour into prepared pan...




Bake for 70 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. 

Let loaf cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely, right side up.



Slice and enjoy!


I don't know why bananas and chocolate go so well together, but they do.  It's a fact. It's right up there with peanut butter & jelly, bagels and cream cheese, Oreo's and milk.  All the biggies.   



 Make two loaves because this one is going fast!  I hope you love it : )

For gifts, my mom and I are treating ourselves to pedicures next week.  We are getting ready for a mini vacation we have coming up at the end of the month.  Even though Mother's Day is over it's always nice to have something to look forward to - especially with your mom!  We deserve it ~ xo

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child. – Sophia Loren



When I came home from work tonight I found these two in the front yard.  They looked as if they were up to something.......




I was right!  Hubby planted the roses and my little one was watering them.  He was so excited and couldn't wait to show me the "surprise"!  Now she's a happy little plant with her roots firmly planted in the soil...just like me.



It's raining now which is wonderful!  A good soak will do all the plants well tonight.  I can't wait to see my Mother's Day roses grow bigger and more beautiful (just like my little boy!) xxxooo

As I type this post everyone is alseep.  I'm off to bed to watch this weeks Gulianna & Bill (I love her!!!!) and then it's sleepy time.  I have laundry to fold, but it will just have to wait.  As you know, it's all about priorities! 


Danielle

7 comments:

  1. Oooh Yummy! You are right. Bananas and chocolate go so well together.

    Glad you had a fantastic mothers day:) Pedicures sound good to me! What colour are you going to pick?

    Gemma x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yellow roses ... you lucky girl ;-)
    That blue glass vase looks like something that would tempt me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! That sounds delish! And I'm so happy to hear that you had a wonderful Mother's Day :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had a sweet Mother's day! That banana bread looks a bit dangerous! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those blue dishes are so pretty, and you're making me so hungry!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you had a lovely Mother's day - and those yellow roses certainly are beautiful! As for your recipe, it looks amazing. Chocolate chip banana bread is one of my favourites :)

    <3 Shawna
    Serpentine Streets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those banana breads look so delicious!!! So glad to hear you were out blowing bubbles,too :) :)

    ReplyDelete