Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Blueberry breakfast cookie ♥


Hello Friends!

I hope this week is treating you well.  We are settling back into our normal routine after John being on school break last week.  It's been freezing cold here so we haven't been getting out much.  I am so looking forward to warmer weather! Not just yet though as more snow is predicted for tonight.  Thank goodness for good TV and Internet access : ) 


Today I wanted to share with you a quick little recipe. Our craziest time around here is definitely the mornings.  I'm always trying to find quick and easy breakfasts to give John so he doesn't go to school hungry.  Usually I make him a bagel, frozen waffle, or bowl of cereal.  He's been getting a little bored with these options so I thought I would try something different. 


Have you ever had a breakfast cookie?  I hadn't until I made them last week.  They are really good!  And it turns out that they are not only good for breakfast on the go, but also for an afternoon snack.  There is no sugar in the recipe.  They are naturally sweetened with banana, honey and applesauce.  John really loved them and once they were gone he asked me to make another batch.  This was highly unusual considering they don't contain any chocolate  : ) 





The recipe comes from the site No Diets Allowed that I found via Pinterest.

2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup fresh blueberries

Preheat oven to 375.

In a medium size bowl mash bananas.  Add applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.  Mix well.  Add oats and mix until well combined.  Fold in blueberries.  Allow mixture to sit for 5 - 10 minutes so the oats can soak up the excess liquid. 

On a parchment lined baking sheet  (or lightly sprayed with non-stick spray) drop Large spoonfuls of dough (I used 1/4 cup measuring cup) about an inch apart. 




Bake in preheated oven 18-20 minutes until slightly golden brown. 





The recipe makes about 10 large cookies and should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.  





Rob and I liked them as much as John.  They are nice treat to have with coffee.  I will definitely continue to make these in the future.  I saw some other variations on pinterest that I would like to try. Particularly one with cranberries that I can't stop thinking about.

If I add chocolate chips does that defeat the purpose? I'm thinking unfortunately yes....: (  OH well! 





Have a happy Wednesday everyone!  We are half way to Friday! 

xo 



6 comments:

  1. I love your tray! It looks so beautiful. <3
    That breakfast cookie recipe sounds good, and looks delicious. I'll have to pick up blueberries next time we head to the grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this!!!!!
    I think I have everything I need to make these right now!
    Cranberry sounds good too.
    How do you take your coffee?
    Just curious!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks so yummy!
    I have been so bored with breakfast lately!
    Thank you for this!

    Blessings,
    Sharon : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh looks yummy. Your tray looks so cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! I have lots of blueberries. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete