Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Lemon Squares ♥

Hello Friends! 

Yesterday was a Tuesday that felt like a Monday.  Today is a Wednesday that feels like "I don't know what day it is!"  Yesterday I was so discombobulated I scrapped my entire plan for the day and decided to bake.  I go a bit crazy when I have lemons in the house.  I use them on everything! I initially bought a bunch to make my stovetop potpourri (which I've been simmering all week!).  With the leftover lemons I've been putting them in my water, making lemon chicken, and naturally I had to used them in a dessert.  Lemon squares it is!  John loves these bars so I also thought it was a perfect treat for his last week of school.  




This is a super easy recipe and YAY...I had all the ingredients.  You only need 2 lemons! 

I will never tire of the smell of fresh lemon.

Heavenly!  





1 cup butter, softened 
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour

Filling:
4 eggs
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 lemons, juiced


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  With an electric mixer, combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar and 2 cups of flour until crumbly.  Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish.  Bake 15-20 minutes or until firm and golden. 

While the crust is baking, whisk together 1 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 cup flour.  Add eggs and lemon juice. Pour mixture over baked crust.  Put back in the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes.  

The bars will firm as they cool.  Cool completely on a rack.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into squares.  Store in the refrigerator. 




I'm embarrassed to tell you how many I ate as I was cutting these.  So many that I gave myself a tummy ache.... yet I kept on eating!  Rob has actually been trying to cut back on sweets lately and I'm not making it very easy for him.  He has much more willpower that I'll ever have.  

I've been thinking a lot about summer this week and all the things I have on my to-do list.  One is to go on a family picnic by the ocean.  I can imagine myself wrapping up a batch of these to go in the picnic basket.  Perfect, right?! 

Well, back to today....
I'm about to pour myself a cup of coffee and see what old game shows I can find on TV.  I can't explain it, but I love those shows so much ♥ 

Have a wonderful day friends! I know it doesn't feel like it, but we are half way to Friday! 

Byeeeee! xoxo 

1 comment: