Friday, January 28, 2022

Pear Skillet Cake and prepping for a storm ♥



Hello Friends! Happy Friday 

I don't know where this week has gone.  Just a blink ago it was Monday.  Work has been busy for me and consumed most of my days.  I did find time to bake something yummy (which I'll get to in a moment) and I've also begun to reread my favorite book trilogy by Susan Branch. These are such comfort reads. I go back and fourth which one I love best. Such inspiration & joy come for Susan.  (we've been together long enough to be on a first name basis : ) 

I always go back to her whenever I feel stuck.  All the answers and in her books.  
 She's one of my favorite people ever 






 And speaking of reading, I'm planning on doing a lot of it this weekend because here in the Northeast we are expecting a HUGE snowstorm. I'm hearing measurements in feet, not inches.  Ugh.  That's when you know it's bad (FYI - I'm in the 18-24" range). 

I used to really love snow and now honestly, it stresses me out.  I don't mind a little dusting, but I'm not a fan of this..... 





I'm more of a fan of this...





...taken from a lovely walk earlier in the week after a light sugar coating of snow.  Perfect.
Sadly that's not what's coming later today.  

Well, there are some things we can't control and one is weather.  I've got all my provisions ready.  Books, candles, blankets (in case we lose power but praying we don't!), and FOOD.
I went to the grocery store yesterday, along with everybody else in my town, and stocked up on the essentials: milk & bread of course, ingredients for soup, hot chocolate, and plenty of snacks for movies.  It's going to be a long weekend. 

One thing I am excited about is my sourdough starter will be ready to bake! I've been feeding it and with some trial and error, I think she's ready to go....






She's bubbly and fluffy and had got the sourdough smell going on....which is a good sign.  
I will hopefully have my first sourdough loaf on Sunday.  Stay tuned! 


And now on to this yummy pear cake recipe that I am dying to share this with you.  It's baked in a cast iron skillet but you could easily use a cake pan if you don't have one.  I must say that cooking in cast iron is a dream and has accidently become a new obsession.  If you don't have one, I highly recommend it.  I was always a bit nervous to use cast iron but once I tried it I realized how easy it is and how wonderfully it works.  

Anywhooo, I was looking for something to have with tea in the afternoon.  Something sweet but not too sweet.  Something with cinnamon and maybe fruity.  I struck gold.  This pear skillet cake is DELICIOUS and looks very pretty too!! 

Here's how to make it: 




Cake: 
1/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp grated orange peel
1 1/4 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ginger
2 pears - one finely chopped, 1 sliced lengthwise - no need to peel : ) 

Crumble topping:
3 tbls flour
4 tbls brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp cold butter
mix together with a fork or fingertips until crumbly 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease or butter (I used spray) an 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet or cake pan
Cream butter and sugar
Beat in eggs, vanilla, and orange peel until light and fluffy
In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ginger.  I used a wire whisk to get rid of the lumps 
Mix dry ingredients with creamed mixture until just blended
Mix in chopped pears
The batter will be very stiff
Spoon into skillet or pan and spread evenly
Arrange pear slices on top and sprinkle with crumble topping

Bake for 30-35 minutes 






YUMMMMM 




Perfect for dunking : ) 



 Pin this on your baking list.  You won't be disappointed.  It's sooooo good! 

I hope you all enjoy your weekend.  

If you are reading this from a warm climate on a beach somewhere I'm jealous of you! I'm hoping to do some Instagram reels and maybe a YouTube video this weekend too.  I'll share soon.  Stay safe and cozy everyone!  

Spring will eventually arrive.  It always does 




xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Well, I certainly wish I was up there with you all this weekend. A snowstorm, movies, books, and your delicious food! The pear dessert looks amazing. I can almost smell it! Stay cozy and safe! I am sure Rob will be itching to get out and shovel!!!

    ReplyDelete