Monday, March 13, 2023

Monday chit-chat...♥ (with that strawberry salad dressing I promised you!)

Hello Friends! 

Another Monday is here and it's the start of a new week.  How was your weekend? Mine went by so fast!  Yesterday is literally a blur to me, but that could be because I'm still sleepy due to the time change.  It's a bear, isn't it?  And not just that, for some reason I thought it was good idea to stay up until midnight and watch the Oscars last night!  For that, I have no regrets. Well, nothing a little caffeine can't fix! : )  Although I wish Austin Butler won for Elvis, I enjoyed the show very much! 


Hot coffee and Irish bread is what's for breakfast today.  I make my friend Eileen's recipe every year.  I'm telling you, it's the best.  You must try it! It's the sour cream that makes it so good! 


IRISH BREAD 

1 cup raisins
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
  
  
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Grease a 10 inch round baking pan. 
 
Soak raisins in a small bowl of boiled water and put aside for about 5 minutes.  Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Mix in the caraway seeds.  Drain raisins and add to the flour mixture. 
  
In a separate bowl mix the melted butter, sugar, sour cream, and eggs.  Blend alternately with flour mixture until everything is combined into a smooth, creamy batter. 
  
Pour batter into pan and sprinkle the top generously with sugar.
 
Bake for one hour.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn onto rack to cool.

 Enjoy! 



I made this one on Saturday and it's just about gone! : ) 

It's gotten cold here again and we are expecting snow tomorrow. They are predicting up to 6 inches in my area.  I'm not mad at that because we've had hardly any this winter.  This could be the grand finale of winter, as it's supposed to be 50 degrees on Friday!  Nothing makes sense anymore..






It's no wonder I need coffee all the time! LOL 




Oh! Remember last week I mentioned making a strawberry salad dressing with these yummy strawberries? 

Well, I did it.  And it was good!! 

Could this give me the incentive to eat more salads?


 




Definitely! : ) 







It was sweet and fresh and I'm sure I'll be making it again this spring and summer.  It was delicious! 

I wish I had had some oranges or avocados to add to this salad. I think it would have made it even better. 

Here's the recipe if you are interested:

2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced

1/3 cup orange juice

1/4 cup red onion

1 1/12 tablespoons honey

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup olive oil

1 tablespoon poppy seeds (*I left these out because I didn't have any:) 

Blend all ingredients in the blender until smooth.  Stir in poppy seeds at the end, if you are using them! 

Well, that's all the chit-chat I have today.  I must get back to work.  It's almost time to pick John up at school and before I know it, it will be dinner time.  I have some meat thawing for a beef stir fry that I'll serve with rolls and the rest of the strawberry salad.  My plan for this evening is curling up with my book and waiting for the snow.   

Have a great day everyone! 

 Stay cozy! xoxoxo

6 comments:

  1. Everyone is getting snow but us. We just have endless days of rain.
    That strawberry dressing sounds yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both these recipes sound delicious! I must try upgrading my Irish soda bread recipe. There’s nothing special in it, and I love the sound of yours! Below freezing temps are expected here for the next three nights. Our pear tree is in bloom, as well as our blueberry bushes. Feeling nervous about those blossoms surviving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Answering your question from my blog - I make the puzzle on a large piece of cardboard which i can move if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping at my blog!
    I hope your didn't get too much snow and I hope Spring is soon here. :)
    Your recipes both look good. I love strawberries in a salad, so that would be a hit and I think my husband would be a fan of the bread. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. even though I'm looking at snow, your post is screaming spring! I am eagerly waiting for salads and grilling regularly outside.

    ReplyDelete