Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy St. Patricks Day


Every year on St. Patrick’s Day we go to my parents house for dinner. My mom makes a boiled dinner with all the fixing. She chooses to make a smoked shoulder over corned beef because it is more lean and tasty. Let me tell you, this year did not disappoint. We look forward to this meal every year and it was delicious!


The meat was lean, not salty, and cooked perfectly.


For veggies, we had potatoes, carrots, turnips, onions, and of course, cabbage!

We are the first ones to admit that cabbage may not be an all time favorite, but since it’s St Patties day, we just have to have it.

My father’s family comes from Sligo, Ireland - which proudly makes me half Irish. (My mother’s family comes from Italy, which also makes me half Italian. In my world, this is a fantastic mix)

My Dad has visited Ireland a few times already. I’ve grown up on stories of the rolling, green hills and the romantic histories of the castles. It’s a place that I would love to visit. We still have family over there and I would love to meet them. Our family has talked about renting a thatched roof cottage and exploring all the wonder Ireland has to offer together. Maybe someday…


 

Our Irish meal wouldn’t be complete without Guinness beer, which my hubby is in charge of. It’s not my cup of tea, but hubby and Dad Love it. It’s certinally a change from the red wine that usually adorns the table - but I don’t think would have really gone with this meal anyway : )

For desert my mom picked up these cute little cupcakes at the supermarket at my son’s request. And because he thinks every holiday is someone’s birthday we had to put a candle in his and sing Happy Birthday to St. Patrick.

 


The only thing that was missing from our celebration was Irish Bread. I had intended to make it, but it was a busy week and I simply ran out of time. But who says we have to save Irish Bread just for St. Patties Day? I will make it soon and have it warm with melted butter on it for breakfast. Yummy….

I hope you all had a Happy St. Patrick’s Day! May the luck of the Irish be with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment