Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Waiting for Spring...


This is a picture taken of the first bloom of the season last March. I have a sunny spot in my back yard where the crocus plants are the first to blossom every spring. This morning I went out back to check this exact spot and unfortunately there are no flowers to be found. The ground is still frozen with no signs of life. So I wait. Today is very cold, but the good news is the sun is out and a little sunshine goes a long way. On my way to work I actually cracked the window to let some air seep into the car. It felt so good to take a deep breath of fresh air. It felt natural and healthy and exhilarating. Stevie Wonder was on the radio. I turned the volume up and actually felt AWAKE for the first time in a long while.

 


It will be nice to trade in my sweaters and black corduroys for white cotton pants and pastel shirts like this one. I actually picked this top up for myself while I was Christmas shopping in December. I love the flowers on it. It looks so comfortable and I can’t wait to wear it. Just looking at it screams SPRING to me. I had to have it. The pearl flower pin I picked up a few years ago in a little shop on Martha’s Vineyard. It’s very retro to me and every time I wear it I feel like Lucy Ricardo. {For those of you that know me, know that’s a very good thing : - }

I’ve notice on many of the blogs out there people have been sharing some of their favorite Springtime tablescapses. While looking though some photos last night I came across these pictures of a brunch I had at my house last spring. Since we are all craving a little more sunshine and inspiration, I thought I would share these with you.

For the past couple of years I have hosted an ALL Girls brunch at my house for the girls in my hubby’s family. It’s been a nice opportunity for us to get together without husbands and kids, and actually be able to talk. We chat about books, movies, recipes, family gossip, and pretty much anything else we can think of. We eat, drink mimosas, laugh, and eat some more. Since its all girls, it’s my excuse wear a dress and “pretty up” the house – just for one day of course.


 


Every year I try to do a different theme. Last year’s theme was flowers. I had bunches everywhere. All colors, shapes, and sizes. Instead of one centerpiece I gathered up tiny vases and vessels and lined them in a row down the center of table. I filled them each with a different kind of flower.





I set the table with my wedding china (Alyssa by Lenox) and the additional pieces I used were Sandwich glass (borrowed from my mom). The table cloth I borrowed from my mom also. I love the roses in this cloth. The colors and pattern felt very vintage.

 


I also covered my island, which I used as a buffet, with a floral cloth – adding to the flower theme.

 



I made chocolate lolly pops with a personalized name tag for everyone. I set them at each place setting and used them in lue of place cards. Each girl got a chocolate flower and pink or green (white chocolate) flower or butterfly. For the tags I used plain gift tags and hand stamped flowers on them in pastel colors. To write the names I used a Susan Branch letter sticker for the first letter and then hand wrote the rest of the name with a gold pen. I tied it all together with white curly ribbon.

For favors my mother offered to make needle cases for everyone. She used a variety of floral patterns so everyone got a different one. The case opens up into a flower shape and you store your sewing needles and pins in them. Such a great idea! And who doesn’t need a needle and thread to sew a button or mend a hem? Even if you don’t, they are so darn cute just to have on your dresser. I placed a needle case at each place setting as well and the girls went crazy over them.


By the way, in case I haven’t mentioned it before my mom is a genius. She was Martha Stewart before anyone knew who Martha Stewart was. She cooks, sews, paints, crafts, quilts, and can make just about anything. We cook together, craft together, drink an obscene amount of tea together, and laugh a lot. We are constantly bouncing ideas off each other and coming up with new projects and ideas together. You will be getting to know her very well here on this blog.

Anyway, back to the party. For food I severed a variety of appetizers, quiches, and munchies. All the girls brought something as well. We had salads, fruit, pastries, and DESERT! I love parties like this because they are casual and fun and I don’t have to worry about fussing with a whole meal. How many times have you said to yourself “I could have a whole meal of just appetizers”. Well, get nine girls together, a vat of mimosas, and a slew of appetizers and you’ve got yourself a good time!

One of my favorite things to serve when I entertain like this is my Spinach and Artichoke dip. You serve it bubbling hot right out of the oven. It’s so delicious and easy to make. I severed it at this brunch and everyone loved it. Here is the recipe:

2 boxes frozen chopped spinach
1 Tbsp butter
1 8oz package cream cheese
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 (14oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
½ cup sour cream
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese


Cook spinach according to directions. Drain well.
Melt butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cream cheese and garlic. Cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly until cream cheese melts. Fold in spinach, artichokes, sour cream, and ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
Transfer mixture to a 1-qt. shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup mozzarella cheese. (I always go heavy on the cheese….: )
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until hot and bubbly.


I serve with Stacy’s “Simply Naked” pita chips.

I wish I had a picture to show you, but for now you’ll just have to trust me. Beware – this dip is addictive.


I’m still in the planning stages for this year’s theme. I have some ideas, but since planning is half the fun, I don’t want to rush it. What I do want to rush is for this cold winter to be over, and Spring to here. We are longing for playgrounds, picnics, and long walks on the beach...



For now I will try to enjoy the last days of winter to the best of my ability, knowing that good times, fresh air, days at the beach, and flowers are ahead…..

I can't wait to start growing these.  Come on Spring!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment