Monday, May 9, 2011

Blueberry Mornings


The morning of Mother's Day we were invited to my sister-in-law's house for brunch.
She was having my in-laws over and also her family.  We've been invited over for brunch before and it's always been great.  She's a great cook and does an amazing job entertaining.  The food was delicious and so was the company.   There were egg quiches, bacon, banana bread, bagels, and fruit salad.  There was also coffee, coffee, coffeeeeee!

The best part was that my little guy got to play with his cousins.  I love it when the family gets together and the kids get a chance to play.  After we ate, they all went outside and rode scooters, blew bubbles, and played on the swings. 

I decided to bring my mom's sour cream coffee cake to brunch.  I added blueberries to the recipe this time because I know my mother-in-law loves blueberries.  Here's what you need to make it:



1 cup sugar
1 stick butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped nuts
cinnamon and sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Blend together sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla.  Add sour cream. 



In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.  Add to wet mixture and beat until smooth.  Stir in blueberries.



Add half of the batter into a greased 8x8 baking dish.  Heavily sprinkle with cinnamon, sugar, and nuts.  I would say at least a two or three tablespoons of sugar, and dust entire layer with cinnamon and nuts.  Keep in mind that aside from the blueberries, this is the best part so don't be skimpy. 



Cover that layer with the rest of the batter and do the same thing on top - sugar, cinnamon, and nuts (and don't be shy : )



Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  This recipe can also be doubled and baked in an 9x13 dish.

After an hour your kitchen will smell heavenly and you'll have this:



Serve warm for breakfast with a big cup of coffee....



The sour cream makes it moist, but it's the blueberries that make it special. 



My mother-in-law enjoyed the cake and so did everyone else (thank goodness), especially my nine year old niece who I just found out loves coffee cake. Go figure.

I'll have to keep that in mind for the next brunch....


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment