Monday, May 16, 2011

My Secret Corner of the World


My favorite place in my house is our smallest room.  This room used to be my son's nursery, but now it's temporally become my craft room.  I love this room because at this very moment in time, everything in it belongs entirely to me.  And me alone.  It's a place I come to at the day's end to check email, read, craft, blog, be creative, or reflect.  It's cozy, quiet, and full of inspiration. 


I have a hundred and one unfinished projects residing in this room. 



Scraps of fabric to be made into pillows, slipcovers, sachets, and next years Christmas ornaments.... 


These are to be little pillows with words of inspiration embroidered on them....


Some things I don't know what I'm going to do with yet.  These fabric hearts are left over from a craft project that my mom was working on last year for a craft fair.  I always take the left over scraps. You never know when you are going to need them : )



My craft table is where I like to do my scrapbooking.  This is one that I have been working on for a while now.  It's a scrapbook of my life, and it starts with pictures of my parents as children and of the homes they grew up in. (I wanted to start at the very begining....)  My mom took me "on tour" one Sunday to both of their old neighborhoods and I took pictures. It was quite an adventure. 



I never took a formal scrapbooking class, so my work is probably a bit amature - but I kind of like that.  I know that I could do lots of fancy things on the computer as well, but I like to have things written in my own handwriting.  It feels more sentimental that way.



Over the years I've jotted down stories and tidbits of things they have told me about their childhoods and I have tried to incorporate them into my scrapbook.  In fact, it's more like a memory book at this point.  Something to pass down through the generations.   



There is inspiration everywhere.  These are some of my favorite books I turn to when I am in need of ideas or have a question on how to do something.  Martha always has the answer! 



The last binder on the right that says "My Book Project" is where I keep all the pages, notes, stories, and recipes for what will someday be my book.  My vision is to write a cookbook full of delicious recepies, incorporated with housekeeping tips, craft ideas, and also family stories. Its been a work in progress for a long time now, but I know that eventually there will be light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm thrilled at how it's turning out so far, but I still have a lot of work to do.  I hope someday I can share it with everyone.
"If you can dream it, be it" - words I live by. 



I went through a stenciling phase at one point, and was coping everything to make stencils. These are place mats that I did after making a stencil of my dish pattern. So far I only have two...



I don't know why I never finished, but I think I need to make a few more : ) 



Stamp and embossing supplies for paper crafting.


More inspiration....



Another scrapbooking project is this one of my son. So many cute pictures I can never decide which ones to use....so I use the all!



I have a comfy glider to sit in....



And a journal to write in.  I've always been a diary keeper, ever since I was little....



Lots of memories fill these pages.  Some happy, some sad, and some just plain embarrassing! I never wanted to forget stages of my life and what I was doing and how I was feeling, so I wrote everything down.  It was just something I felt compelled to do. Kind of weird, but I'm glad I did it. 


Dreaming of far away places.....



I never enter my room without this.... as you can see, I've been in here a while.  My cup is half empty.  Time for a refill.



So  I can see what's going on in the world... I simply cannot do that without caffeine. 



The walls of my favorite room look like this.  As I said, this room was my son's nursery before he moved into the "big boy room".  The room was decorated with a barnyard theme.  One hot summer day when I was eight month's pregnant my mother came over and painted all the animals you see on this wall. 



We took all the baby furniture out of the room last year, but I could not bear to paint over the walls.  You never know when I may be "evicted" and this decor could come in handy.....????  We were so appreciative of all her hard work and so was my son when he was a baby.  He would lay in his crib and just stare at the walls.  These are very nice memories for me, and if nothing else I find it very comforting to be in here surrounded by visions of my baby in his crib.  He's now three and likes to squirt orange juice through his nose.  Are you getting my point? 



 
The room is small and mismatched, but I love it just the same.  Last night I sewed a hem, mended a pair of Scooby-Doo jammies, and restrung the drawstring on a pair of windpants.  Not very exciting, but I did it all in my room.  I guess I feel the same way about being in here as hubbie does about being in the garage or my little one does about being in his playroom.  It's all about what's around you and how that makes you feel. 



Everyone needs a place where they can just be themselves and do what they love - in peace and quiet.  I'm so happy I've found my secret corner of the world....

No comments:

Post a Comment