Friday, March 2, 2018

Irish bread ♥



Happy March Everyone!  As I type this we are in the middle of a huge storm.  I see on the news that some areas north of me are getting snow.  Luckily all I'm seeing is rain and wind, but wow - this storm is raging!  What a way to welcome March!
 
Well, they say in like lion out like a lamb.  Light the candles, turn on the kettle. 
 
This is the lion! ♥



 
 
The river in the back of our house is so high! And I wish you could see the trees! It looks like they are dancing!  Either way, I'm glad I'm cozy inside. 
 
I took the day off from work today because John had a half day.  We had intended to go out after school but because the weather is so bad we decided to stay home. We are both in our jammies and have been lounging and watching movies all day.  It's been heaven! When Rob gets home I'll make pancakes for dinner and then we are going downstairs for (another : ) movie with Nana & Grampy. 
I haven't had a day like this in a LONG time.  It's been nice!
 
 
 
 
 
This morning while he was at school I did a little baking.
 
It's March and that means one thing....Irish Bread! 
 
 
 
 
 
All of my Valentines have been neatly stored away and little touches of St. Patrick's Day have been scattered around. 
 
 
 
 
 
I'm aware that Easter is early this year, but I'm not about to let a holiday pass me by! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Every March I make my friend Eileen's Irish bread.  It's literally the best Irish bread I've ever had.  If you are remembering the Irish bread of your childhood that is dry and tasteless - well, this is not it. This is more like a moist cake!  It has a cup of sour cream in it which makes all the difference!   
 
 

 
 
Once a year I break out the caraway seeds!
 
I've had the same jar for I don't even want to tell you how long!  Seriously, what else do you put Caraway seeds in? 
 
Only Irish bread! ♥
 
 
 
 
 
I've posted it before, but here's the recipe if you want to give it a go:
 
 
1 cup raisins
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons caraway seeds
1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
2 eggs
  
  
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 
Grease a 10 inch round baking pan. 
 
Soak raisins in a small bowl of boiled water and put aside for about 5 minutes.  Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Mix in the caraway seeds.  Drain raisins and add to the flour mixture. 
  
In a separate bowl mix the melted butter, sugar, sour cream, and eggs.  Blend alternately with flour mixture until everything is combined into a smooth, creamy batter. 
  
Pour batter into pan and sprinkle the top generously with sugar.
 
Bake for one hour.  Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn onto rack to cool.
  
 
 
 
 
YUM!
 
 
 
 
So good with coffee or tea! 
 
I like to spread cream cheese on mine.  John likes a little butter on his. 
 
Rob (who is 100% Italian by the way :) loves this bread just as is! 
 It's so moist you really don't need anything!
 
 
 
 
 
Happy Friday my friends!  I hope March is treating you well so far!
 
Bake up something yummy this weekend and stay cozy! If you need us we'll be hiding under the blankets until the storm passes.
 
The lamb will be here before we know it!
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. MMM! Saving this recipe! I never had anything like this before. <3

    Madison | Breakfast at Madison’s

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had raging wid this morning our way - it blew some of the patio covers off my neighbor's deck area and on to my front yard! Your bread looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe again. I enjoy cooking a corned beef dinner on St. Patrick's day, but I have never made Irish soda bread. This recipe sounds so simple and it looks delicious. I will definitely be trying this! Thank you! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete