Monday, March 19, 2018

Strawberry rhubarb crisp ♥

 
Hello Friends! It's Monday again.....♥
 
I hope you all had a nice weekend! Mine was lovely. I did errands, housework, had a special lunch date with John, and celebrated St. Patrick's Day with my family over a traditional boiled dinner! 
 
 Sunday morning I organized my date book so I'm feeling very content stepping into a new week.  Plus, there are no snowstorms in the forecast this week which is making me very happy!  Tomorrow is the first day of spring! Let's start feeling it!  ♥
 
I thought I would start off this week with something pretty and delicious! 
 
Strawberry rhubarb crisp!
 
  I was inspired to make this after seeing all the rhubarb at the grocery store last Sunday. It was everywhere!  I couldn't not bring some home!  Why not a crisp? And why not add some strawberries?  They are match made in heaven ♥
 
 
 



I've never had rhubarb in anything other than a dessert.  Have you?  I don't think I've even ever tasted it raw.  I just know that when it's cooked it's sweet and near perfect ♥ 
 
Seeing the rhubarb and strawberries together have me missing the farmers markets! I can't wait for them to start up again....which is usually late April/early May. Not that far away!
 
I'm picture myself on an early Saturday morning in flip flops, messy hair, holding an ice coffee...drifting up and down the rows of fresh fruits and veggies, herbs, plants, & handcrafted goods. I can't wait! : )
 
Here is the recipe in case you want to try it.  It served 5 people perfectly. If you a baking for a bigger crowd I suggest doubling the recipe ♥ 




*Recipe from Martha Stewart ♥


2 cups strawberries - hulled and cut in half (quarters if large)
2 cups rhubarb - cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
 
For the topping:
1 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
dash of salt
 
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 
In an 8 inch baking dish combine fruit, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.  Toss until all the fruit is coated.
 
 

 
 
 
In a medium bowl combine oats, flour, butter, brown sugar, and salt.  Stir until combined and sprinkle over fruit. 
 
 
 
 


Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. 
 
The juices will be bubbly and yummy!

 




Let cool and serve. 
 
Wait. We are missing something...



 
 
That's better!
 
I served mine with strawberry ice cream and whip cream!
 
 
 
 
 
It's so good! And not overly sweet, so don't worry about that : )
 
 
 
 
 
 
Apple crisp has big shoes to fill around here.  This crisp is giving apple a run for her money! ♥
 
 
 
 
 
YUM! ~
 
 
Wishing you all a happy first day of spring! We still have snow on the ground, but hopefully not for long!  I'm keeping the faith! ♥
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. That sounds great, Danielle! I love rhubarb, too. We used to grow a patch in the backyard, growing up in Massachusetts (Reading)! Mom always made rhubarb pie. This is similar to Susan Branch's apple/cranberry crisp that I make all the time. I'm going to look for rhubarb here, too and try this! I love the strawberry ice cream topping. I think I'll try that, too. I usually use vanilla, but this is different! Thanks! Hope the snow stays away from you for awhile. You guys need a break up there!! Jane xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a bowl of that right now! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks and sounds delicious, Danielle! I may try this for a family get together, soon. :)

    ReplyDelete