Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Tuscan vegetable soup: my favorite on a chilly evening : )



Hello Friends!


How are you?  I can't believe how fast October is flying by!  Halloween if fast approaching, which means the end of the month is coming.  The days have gotten very chilly and in the mornings you can see your breath. Rob told me the other morning he had to use the ice scraper to clear the windshield. It's that time of year once again! 


I've taken out my warm clothes and they are feeling so good on these cool days.  I even treated myself to a new cardigan and pair of boots for the season. I love being cozy all day.  I am never out of reach from a mug of something hot or without my sweater.  Cardigan life is real, people.  I'm living it : )  


Fall also means that it's soup season!  The joys of hot soup at night (and left overs for lunch) is the absolute best when it's cold and dark at 6:30pm.  Soup is a hug in a bowl.  Especially soups filled with lots of veggies because then my mom heart knows I'm feeding my family something that not only makes them feel good, but is also good for them!  I've posted this recipe before but since it's my favorite I felt it deserved a repost.  It comes together very quickly so it's perfect for a week night meal.  





Here's how to make it..... 


1 (15.5) can cannelloni beans, rinsed & drained

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium sized onion)

1 cup diced carrots (about 1 large carrot)

1 cup diced celery (about 2 large stalks)

1 cup diced zucchini (about 1 medium sized zucchini)

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste

4 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken (or vegetable) broth

1 (14.5) can diced tomatoes, with juice

2 handfuls baby spinach leaves (about 2 cups packed)

Parmesan cheese 







In a small bowl, mash half of the beans with the back of a spoon.  Set aside.


Heat oil in a medium sized soup pot over medium-high heat.  Add veggies & seasonings and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender - about 5 minutes.


Add the broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Add the mashed and whole beans, and the spinach leaves.  Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 3 - 5 more minutes. 


Serve topped with shaved Parmesan cheese.





And that's it!  Serve with crackers or warm crusty bread to dunk. YUM~  


So how has your October been going so far?  Have you dipped into the Halloween candy yet?  I haven't....but I'm weakening everyday!!  It's getting close!  


Happy Tuesday, my friends! xoxo 


3 comments:

  1. It is getting colder here, too! I'm embracing it. <3
    I love your recipes! You always inspire me to cook.
    Hope you are doing well. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe Halloween is SO soon! I am loving the chill in the air. It was finally cold enough to wear my favorite jackets. :) This recipe sounds super yummy! Soup is my favorite!!!

    Madison | Breakfast at Madison’s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!
    And thank you for this.
    Madison and I have been all about soups lately.
    Oh, and I literally took the same picture with my new boots and a pumpkin last weekend!

    ReplyDelete