Friday, August 23, 2019

Blueberry Pie Oatmeal Bars

Hello Friends! 

 I am writing you tonight from the comfort of my cozy bed.  It's been a long week and I've been dreaming of this moment since Monday.  I was on the go all week, busy at work, and the worst part is that it's been so HOT here.  I'm talking over 90 degrees for days on end.  The air is thick and humid.  It feels yucky to be outside. By this point in the summer I'm over it.  Not to say I didn't love this summer.  It was wonderful....but it's time for it go.  The heat makes me tired and I feel like lump.  It's time for cozy sweaters and crunchy leaves.  I'm so grateful I live in an area where the seasons change.  I don't think you can really appreciate a season if you have it all the time.  It's got to go away so we can miss it.  I went grocery shopping tonight and when I was walking to my car I saw that it was dark out and it wasn't even 8pm!  We are losing light and that's the first sign change is coming. 

Because it's been so hot  I haven't had much energy for baking.  I've really missed it too.  This week I was determined to get back into the kitchen.  I enjoy having homemade desserts after dinner and I love trying new recipes!  I was surfing around Pinterest and came across this recipe for Blueberry Pie Oatmeal Bars that looked interesting.  Its one of those 4 ingredient recipes that is so easy it's almost criminal.  Perfect for when you don't really feel like doing much work but want something homemade.  I had all the ingredients on hand so I thought I'd give it a try.  

They came out delicious!  A slice of blueberry pie, in a bar....: ) 





The recipe comes from Mom on Time Out blog  (I adapted the cooking time slightly : ) 

1 yellow cake mix
2 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 butter, melted 
21 oz can blueberry pie filling


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper or spray with non stick spray.
Mix cake and oats in a large bowl. 
Add melted butter and stir until crumbly. 
Firmly press down half of the crumbs into the bottom of the pan.
Carefully spread the blueberry pie filling over the crumb layer. 
Spread the remaining crumbs over the filling and press down gently. 
Bake as directed according to the cake mix box.  
(mine baked for 30 minutes)  
The top layer will be golden brown : ) 

Let cool completely before cutting.  Store in the refrigerator. 




(I imagine any pie filling would also work.  These would be yummy with cherry, apple, or strawberry filling, don't you think?)




John absolutely loved these! I plan on making them again when he starts school to put in his lunchbox. 




These blueberry bars are the best kind of dessert because they are perfectly acceptable for breakfast also. Nice with with a cup of coffee or tea.  Not too sweet, but hit the spot when you need a little something.  I really loved them! 

Little by little, as fall approaches I will be getting back into baking.  I currently have canned pumpkin in my pantry and I'm not afraid to use it! : ) 




I'll be working out my "end of summer funk" by taking John back to school shopping on Monday.  At least one of us is looking forward to it (me!).  He's got a week and half left of vacation and let me tell you, he's clinging to every minute.  He celebrated a birthday last week and I'll tell you all about it next time. I can't believe he's 12!!!  

Have a great weekend everyone!!  xoxo 


1 comment:

  1. I need piece of those blueberry bars! They just look perfect. ;)

    And I feel you on the heat wave...we were in triple digits that last two weeks, and it has finally cooled down some.

    ReplyDelete